Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 06-07-2009 , 07:15 AM
Subscriber

ambient occlusion with mr shaders

hello at all...

I´m confused about the mental ray ao topic.
When I want to add ao to my scene, I have the abbilty to render in passes!
thats the way it works, but how is it possible to render an image with the ao includet.

because if I go to render globals and turn ao on and in the mr shaders attributes ao is also turned on, then in the rendered pic must be ao visible or not^!?
very confused how to setup ambient occlusion to be rendered in the final image.

has somebody any workflow tips, how to setup ao to be in a single image without layers!!??

I´m using mia material x, with rubber preset, and I need nessesaryly ao in that image, because I have to copy an existing image, with some changes, but the look has to be the same, because of that its really important to know how to setup ao in mr!!! please help!!

thanks at all and sorry for my english! user added image)

# 2 06-07-2009 , 09:06 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
Not really sure what your asking for. Are you just trying to do AO? Because then you create a mib_amb_occlusion node and connect its out value to the outcolor of the shader.
Ivr covered it in a bit more detail here https://elephantanimations.110mb.com/ao.html

If you want to combine it with a texture of something then you can bake it (cant remember what the option is called but its pretty obvious), this can take a while though and it may seem like maya has crashed when it hasnt

# 3 06-07-2009 , 02:13 PM
The Nurb Herd
256 samples is way over the top imo. also you need to adjust the max distance depending on the scene.
The reason people have white as the background colour is because you need to multiply the AO layer over a colour layer.

# 4 06-07-2009 , 02:37 PM
Subscriber
I don´t want to composit the layers together. there must be a way to say maya render that images but with built in ready composed AO.

in help e. t. are only compositing solutions available.

in cinema 4d you can hit AO and in your final image it is there.. so easy! why so hard in MAYA!?

probably another solution??? i have no more idea....user added image

# 5 06-07-2009 , 03:49 PM
The Nurb Herd
turn on "render all layers"

# 6 06-07-2009 , 03:55 PM
Subscriber
hey hammer!!! that sounds good!

can you tell me where that option is to find????

that were cooll!!!! thanks...

# 7 06-07-2009 , 04:12 PM
Subscriber
ok done!! thanks, was a litte bit covered... thanks at all...