Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 27-10-2009 , 05:38 PM

OrgaMecha: The End

I've been getting back to my story I've been developing after taking a break from it to study Maya etc, and now feeling a little more confident with 3d, will be able to use what I've learnt towards it.

I'm going to use this thread to dump everything I'm making towards it, Concept work, Scenes, Character designs and models, props etc.

I'm not fully sure what format this story will end up in yet, it was originally going to be just a Graphic novel, but I'd like to have it as an animated feature too, although it may be a bit beyond my capability's at the moment, and my hardware's too! lol!

Either way the art for the Graphic novel will involve the use of Maya,Zbrush etc anyway, so I can do the modelling for it anyway, and if I get to animate it, all good!

I'll also be moving my Smiler Wip to this thread at some point too, as the alleyway will be used in part of the story too, probably not the creatures themselves though.

I'm not going to go into the actual story at the moment, as I'm redrafting the script at the moment, it's at around 60 pages at the moment and needs a ton of work on it.

But for now I'm working on a train that'll be used in one of the action sequences, will post a render of it's at soon.

# 2 27-10-2009 , 06:06 PM
Here's where I'm at with the train, I picked this train (FCC 313 Moogate - Hertford North) because it's actually one of the units that I worked on during last year, I was part of a team that refurbished the entire fleet of this type of train, so it seemed the obvious choice to try and replicate for my story.

Need to finish off the under carriage and do a bit of work on the ends. And build all the seat inside. Then duplicate it and modify to create the drivers end carriages.

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 27-10-2009 , 07:45 PM
Subscriber
Nice - I hate modelling the carriages - they are not the simplest of things are they. (did one for the V City challenge)
They look it but once you start you notice the odd shapes here and there.

Going to do the same thing as soon as my mate finishes my story boards for me for my "Haz-Matt" project (Been waiting so looooooong now)

Also love the profile pic

# 4 27-10-2009 , 08:07 PM
Cheers Tweety,
yeah, it may look like just a box on wheels but when you get down to the nuts and bolts of it (pun intended...) you realise there's a lot to do!
Not going to do much more to the under carriage now, got it detailed enough I think, moving onto the interior now. I would leave it quite basic inside, but there's shots inside the train too, so if I can I'll use this train for both rather than building a set for that side of the scene.
Funny thing is I'm building all as neatly as I can, but it's going to get trashed for the sequence/still shot anyhow! Much metal carnage!

Will look forward to seeing the progress of your "Haz-Matt", I remember you mentioning that before and it does sound interesting!

# 5 29-10-2009 , 01:00 AM
Got all the seats in, and done a bit to the Front drivers carriage, quite a few more details to add, and the couplers to build.
Not going to Uv and texture it yet, want to start on some other bits of modelling first, possibly the train station that's involved in this sequence, then have a mass texturing session with several different models after.

Here's some wires of progress with the train.

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 30-10-2009 , 10:54 AM
Started work on the train station, using my local one as reference as it's easy to get pictures and take photo's of it.
Added the train and person just to show scale, should hopefully get quite a bit done on it today, pub lunch and then back to it! With a bit of luck I should have something a little more interesting to show later on.

Just looking forward to creating the scene once everything is built and textured, the train is going to wreck this station really quite badly!

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 30-10-2009 , 04:47 PM
EduSciVis-er
Cool... how are you going to simulate the destruction? Still or animated? Effects > Surface shatter?

# 8 30-10-2009 , 05:16 PM
Cheers Stwert,

I'm not exactly sure yet, will probably play about with the surface shatter and see how it works and what kind of results I can get with it, if that doesn't work out then have to rethink it.
For the still image (for the graphic novel) I can just position everything, destroy it all by hand, then paint in any extra bits needed in Photoshop, but that won't work for an animated version!
I'll have several "stunt" trains ready for it, one's without seats, or quite as much detailing on them etc, all I know at the moment is it's all going to take quite a lot of planning! lol!
I know there's a couple of plug ins that can get some decent results, will have to look into those too.

If anyone else has any ideas for animating the destruction of a train and part of a station, they will be appreciated!

# 9 01-12-2009 , 11:43 PM
Had a bit of a break from 3d due to some other work, and spending a bit of time catching up on some gaming.

Decided to get off my arse and do a bit today though, ideas are beginning to build up again I guess, so to get myself back into the swing of things I'm redesigning the Smiler idea from my other thread.
Not got much done so far, but have got the base mesh in Z and am about to start some sculpting.

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 02-12-2009 , 07:55 AM
Ncloths great for smashinig stuff.

Ive got a few tools for breaking objects, one of thems a "cookie cutter" that I made another is a voronoi shatter based off particles that gets REALLY REALLY good results.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle