Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 25-02-2010 , 04:55 PM

house

This is my house made in maya. I have not lighted it. It is thru printscreen. It is for my reel. Please comment.

Attached Images
# 2 25-02-2010 , 09:15 PM
it looks pretty good,
you should add some lighting and render it out, it will look so much better.

# 3 26-02-2010 , 09:41 AM

dome lighting and sky

I dont want to use mental ray. Also should I use dome (directional light) lighting and a dome(i.e. hdri) for sky.

# 4 26-02-2010 , 10:55 AM
Subscriber

Re: dome lighting and sky

Originally posted by puneet chopra
I dont want to use mental ray.

..why..? and you could use the software renderer if you really don't want to, there's still nothing to stop you from rendering it..

i wasn't aware you could use hdri unless you use mental ray or another thing that does ray tracing

looks good though

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 5 27-02-2010 , 06:04 AM
To use HDRI you need to use something other than Maya software/hardware renderers. Mental ray is usually the choice.

So.... yeah.

Dome lighting is pretty-well reserved to Mental Ray and more advanced renderers. So you may need to compromise.

Oh, and Chirone, Maya Software renderer is a raytracer as well, otherwise raytraced shadows and reflections wouldn't be possible.

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 6 27-02-2010 , 08:14 PM
Super Moderator
Is there a reason you don't want to use Mental Ray? Personally, since discovering linear light workflow and its awesome results, I can't go back.

- Genny