Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 16 22-03-2010 , 01:17 PM
Lifetime Member
Thanks to ctbram,

he has pinpointed the trouble, Maya 8 cant smooth preview polys, my apologies as all of the forums I went to omitted this bit of info. ct you are a bloody legend, omnipresent one.

Cheers bullet

Thread dead

Upgrade to Maya 2009 (divorce). ladadadada

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 17 22-03-2010 , 01:26 PM
Sorry about the confusion bullet.

I started out as a nurbs modeler and the 1,2,3 keys have worked for NURBs and SubDs all the way back to version 3 of Maya.

They added the capability to polygons in Maya 2008. But you could not render (in mental ray) the smooth preview.

In Maya 2009 they added the capability of mental ray rendering the smooth preview.

So from Maya 2009 on I have not really used the regular smooth function. Unless I want to upres my model and then cut in more detail into the higher res mesh (but I try to avoid this method of modeling unless I don't plan to smooth after adding the new detail).

So for Maya 8.0 your best bet is to apply a polygon>smooth then set divisions to 2. Render, tug verts, add details, and such but DO NOT delete history ot you will bake in the hi res mesh.

To get back to you base mesh set the number of divisions in the poly smooth node to 0 and then once back to the base mesh you can delete history.

Best of luck in keep up the good work. Your CH 701 is coming along well.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 18 22-03-2010 , 01:29 PM
Apparently, in Maya 8, smooth preview only works with NURBs and Sub-D. It was added for polygons in Maya 2008.

https://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=563523

So, you can either use the regular smooth command and undo like you've been doing or the way I used to work in Maya 7 is to take advantage of poly proxy similar to what this guy shows:

https://www.imanishi.com/mayablog_en/...modelin-2.html

What I would do is adjust the proxy settings (when creating) so the smoothed mesh and proxy are output to two different layers, then just move the smoothed one over a specific amount (-2 in the z for example). This would allow me to to see how my edits to the proxy are affecting the smoothed version side-by-side. If the model/scene gets taxing on the computer, then turn the smoothed layer(s) off. Sometimes I like this more than smooth preview but it does take more to set it up. If you've ever watched SM's apache tutorial, that's the workflow that KB uses as he's building up the parts. Very handy.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 19 22-03-2010 , 09:22 PM
Lifetime Member
Thanks ctbram,

I will do that, JUST DONT DELETE mt history, hahahaha its caught me a few times now!!

Cheers Nitro,

I will be buying a few DVD's one of the Spitfire and the Apache (cos it looks hot!!). I will keep your advice and ct's on a notepad for ref.

Thanks again guys.

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes