Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 03-04-2010 , 08:52 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

The PHAT- Python practice

Over the past 6 months I've been learning python and to learn a bit more I've started making a game. I'm hoping it will help me get into a good university (probably going to do computer science).
It's called the PHAT which stands for "The Phanteater army training (programme)". You play as a trainee anteater and the game is mostly a tutorial.
So far I've finished the basic movement and UI tutorial. My efforts to make an executable have so far been unsuccessful so I can't post anything that works but I can attach the code and screenshots. (Starts with menu.py)

Please tell me if I've done anything I shouldn't have or if there is a much better way to do something.

Menu:
user added image

user added image

Attached Files
File Type: zip thephat.zip (6.5 KB, 141 views)
# 2 03-04-2010 , 11:31 PM
EduSciVis-er
Heh... captain placeholder eh?

I don't know how to make an exe either... I just run python scripts from the command line.

# 3 04-04-2010 , 01:38 AM
Subscriber
how is python, as a language? is it fun to learn? i bought myself a book, a little while ago, which is learning python through making a game. i havnt had a go though yet.

# 4 04-04-2010 , 04:42 AM
EduSciVis-er
Python for me has been a pretty good learning experience, mostly just messing around and reading documentation to try to achieve whatever goal I needed. I do bioinformatics, by the way, so most of the stuff I use it for is string based. I'm looking forward to using it with maya though.

# 5 04-04-2010 , 11:01 AM
Level 32 pachyderm

Originally posted by ben hobden
how is python, as a language? is it fun to learn? i bought myself a book, a little while ago, which is learning python through making a game. i havnt had a go though yet.

If you don't already know a programming language it's really good. It's probably the highest level (proper) programming language. It's very human readable.
It's easy to learn and it's used for pretty much everything. If you are serious about programming I think you need to learn another programming language afterwards but it's great to start off with.

As far as creating a .exe is concerned there is an application called py2exe that bundles in a python interpreter and all the appropriate modules but so far I haven't managed to get it working.

You can do anything with python: https://www.swharden.com/blog/images/python.png

Last edited by elephantinc; 04-04-2010 at 11:14 AM.
# 6 04-04-2010 , 11:38 AM
Subscriber
Nooo, im not serious about programming. Just where ive been learning maya,ive always heard of it, and then i was using after effects the other day and i saw you could use it in that. I read that stuff about it being easy and most human like. With visuals and pretty colours too i thought you cant go wrong! user added image

# 7 04-04-2010 , 11:59 AM
Level 32 pachyderm

Originally posted by ben hobden
Nooo, im not serious about programming. Just where ive been learning maya,ive always heard of it, and then i was using after effects the other day and i saw you could use it in that. I read that stuff about it being easy and most human like. With visuals and pretty colours too i thought you cant go wrong! user added image

Go for it then. You always get helpful error messages too.

# 8 04-04-2010 , 07:11 PM
Good luck with a degree in computer science.

It's like having a degree in pre-unemployment. user added image

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 04-04-2010 at 07:15 PM.
# 9 04-04-2010 , 07:39 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

Originally posted by ctbram
Good luck with a degree in computer science.

It's like having a degree in pre-unemployment. user added image

errr Thanks?
The number of people in england taking Comp Sci courses has dropped dramatically so I can hope.......

# 10 04-04-2010 , 07:54 PM
EduSciVis-er
Don't listen to ctbram, comp sci has applications in a huge diversity of fields. I went to a career fair at my university and many of the companies were looking for comp sci grads... much more than biology user added image

# 11 04-04-2010 , 08:05 PM
I was just teasing.

I have a B.S. in computer science and electrical engineering as well as a masters in aeronautical engineering and just completed a PhD in medical physics (biotech).

Much of what I did when I was doing my research involves computational analysis and utilized a great deal of my experience with programming.

I should have put more then just the smiley winky emoticon. Truly, wish you the best with your CS degree.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 12 04-04-2010 , 09:10 PM
EduSciVis-er
Haha, I must have missed the winky... next time do something like...

JK!!!!! LOL!!!! :attn: user added image :bow: :p user added image user added image :p :p ROFL!!! CSC Roxors ur boxxors...!!!!:p :p

# 13 04-04-2010 , 11:25 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

Originally posted by ctbram
I was just teasing.

I have a B.S. in computer science and electrical engineering as well as a masters in aeronautical engineering and just completed a PhD in medical physics (biotech).

Much of what I did when I was doing my research involves computational analysis and utilized a great deal of my experience with programming.

I should have put more then just the smiley winky emoticon. Truly, wish you the best with your CS degree.

Thanks user added image
It does still have the 5th highest post graduate unemployment rating though, at somewhere in the 20% region.
Still, the universities I hope to get in to have much higher post graduate employment ratings, some of which are 100% (although how many of them ended up working in Mcdonalds is anyones guess)

# 14 05-04-2010 , 11:16 AM
Good luck with the Python.

I've only toyed with it. More of a C, Matlab, MEL and C# guy.

The first year of the degree will be a leveler to get everyone up to speed.

What uni's are you thinking about?

Steve

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 15 05-04-2010 , 03:26 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Yeah, should be fun. I spent awhile learning C# then some XNA... wasn't really my thing tbh, but haven't tried Python, so can't give you any cits/advice.

Good luck with it all though.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"