Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 10-04-2010 , 10:32 PM
EduSciVis-er

Sharp texture checkers

Quick question, might be really simple. When I apply a default checker pattern to an object, it comes out fuzzy with grey areas between the black and white. Following a tutorial where the checker pattern is really crisp. I tried switching to high quality rendering in the viewport, which helps, but I don't think that's what the tutorial is using. Any ideas? Thanks.

Attached Images
# 2 10-04-2010 , 10:35 PM
EduSciVis-er
Just noticed that the tutorial file has an actual checker.jpg mapped to it instead of the preset, but I don't know if that's the problem or not.

# 3 11-04-2010 , 01:02 AM
The Nurb Herd
you shouldn't really use the preset checker to check uvs.

# 4 11-04-2010 , 02:46 AM
EduSciVis-er
Yeah, it was mentioned later on in the tutorial that the preset checker wasn't great, so I'm using the checker image. Thanks for the tip. I'll also look for one of those colored checker images with the numbers on it.

Edit: I'm looking forward to the UV edge loop selection in 2011 (if I ever upgrade to 2011)... so tedious!

# 5 12-04-2010 , 09:44 PM
Not sure which of these you changed to change to "hiqh quality rendering in the viewport" but you can up the resolution of your texture itself to highest (be it image or standard checkerboard) in its hardware texturing attributes (attribute editor) as well as in the viewport itself going to shading > hardware texturing (option box). Turn off filtering and leave the top to 'multiply". This will result in the default checkerboard texture being very sharp. With an image, you'll want to play with the filters a touch as it may be too sharp and jagged.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 6 12-04-2010 , 10:11 PM
EduSciVis-er
Thanks for the tip Nitro, I'll try it out. In the panel menus, there's an option called "hiqh quality rendering" vs default rendering I think.

# 7 12-04-2010 , 10:34 PM
Are you talking about sharpness in the renderer or sharpaness in one of the viewport panels?

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 8 12-04-2010 , 11:37 PM
EduSciVis-er
I mean in the viewport, while I UV map.