Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 14-10-2009 , 09:53 PM

ambient Occlusion

How do I get an ambient occlusion render from maya 2010?

I select the ambient occlusion checkbox in the mental ray features tab but I don't see an ambient occlusion render anyplace?

I want to do an ambient occlusion render and use the result as an overlay to the texture map in photoshop as shown in several tutorials I have seen. They all show the resulting output in photoshop but just ASSUME everyone knows how to get the magical mystical AO render!

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 2 14-10-2009 , 10:26 PM
yes...you dont sound not non double negative
you want to do an ambient occlusion pass then.

its not the same as the tick box in the MR option.

level 3 luchador!

image dump
# 3 15-10-2009 , 01:12 AM
Here's how I do it in 2009, hopefully it's the same for 2010.

1. Create a new render layer and add all your objects to it.
2. Right click on the layer and select Attributes
3. Once the attribute editor opens up, you should see a button labeled "Presets" Click on the button and select occlusion.
4. Now render it out.

Just make sure you have Mental Ray selected as the renderer.

To make changes to the occlusion...
1. Window > Render Editor > Hypershade
2. In the hypershade, you should see a solid black surface shader. Double click on it to open it's attributes.
3. In the attribute editor, you should see a tab with ?_amb_occlusion1. Click that tab.
4. Now you can increase the samples (for better render). YOu can adjust the brightness and so forth. Just play around with the options to get a feel for what they do.

Good luck

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 4 15-10-2009 , 01:20 PM
Worked like a charm!

Thanks!

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 5 13-05-2010 , 11:33 AM
Great nice :attn: :attn: :attn: :attn: