Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 08-06-2010 , 06:01 PM

Transparency With Mia_Material ...

What am I doing wrong here ... I want to have the Mia_Material glass preset render out with transparency. The alpha channel shows no transparency in Photoshop, no matter what format I render to. Blinn material is fine but I want to use the Mia_Material.

# 2 09-06-2010 , 05:09 AM
Technical Director

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 09-06-2010 , 02:16 PM
Thanks NextDesign. I actually found a blog right after I posted that offered up a pretty simple solution I wasn't aware of. In the Mia_Material attributes, in the "Advanced Refraction" section, there is a check-box for "Propagate Alpha". This refraction correction gives me the transparency I need. Simple as that. I think this feature was added somewhere around Maya 2008 or so as a solution to the various workarounds that were being used. I may be wrong about the date. I'm running 2011 on a Mac Pro. Thanks for the link though. As with most software there are usually numerous solutions to the same problem. I've always believed that understanding multiple approaches only makes you stronger and more capable. Thanks again.