Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 18-07-2010 , 04:50 PM

Polygon/FillHole leaves artifacts on object

Morning,

Thank you to daverave and perfecto for answering so quickly to my previous question.

It's a beautiful Sunday morning somewhere north of Toronto, and yet I suffer in newbness.

Please see the screencap below.

I created a pod racer from a polygon square with lots of extruding, scaling and moving. Then I smoothed it.

At some point after that I realised there were a few holes in the shape.

I tried to patch the holes by i) selecting the shape and hitting polygon/merge/fill hole ii) selecting the edges of each hole and hitting polygon/merge/fill hole and then using merge just for good measure.

The holes got filled in both cases but with visual artifacts.
The filled holes don't seem to take the assigned shaders or textures very well.

I have 2 questions:

1) How can I fill holes in polygons without getting these artifacts?
2) Are there any tips for selecting components on objects without inadvertently selecting other parts of the object?

Cheers

Tom

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Tom Knowles; 18-07-2010 at 07:03 PM.
# 2 18-07-2010 , 07:49 PM
The thin red line
Hi Tom Knowles
Try cleaning the mesh. poligons, mesh, cleanup. in tassilation turn of the four side option............dave

# 3 18-07-2010 , 09:02 PM
you can switch to edge select mode. Then select 1 edge on a hole. Then click on Fill Hole Tool. That will fill the selected hole only.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 4 19-07-2010 , 01:51 AM
EduSciVis-er
Don't know if you have already, but a common thing to try is to check the normals of the faces. They might be reversed... something to check.

# 5 19-07-2010 , 03:46 PM
Hi Guys,

Thank you for the replies.

Dave - tried the polygon/mesh/cleanup but was unable to change anything.

Perfecto - I have tried filling all holes at once, 1 hole at a time :all edges selected, 1 hole at a time: 1 edge selected - but none of these differences seem to make a difference.

Stewert - I checked the face normals, the faces and the geometry in general but everything seems normal. No pun intended. By the way, love your Lego models. Very cool.

I did find a residual, larger polygon face that was on the inside of the model hidden by the mesh on the outside. This larger piece corresponded to the original hole but was not tessellated to the same degree as the surrounding mesh. Once removed however, nothing changed.

I'm not sure if this is a modeling issue or a shading issue.

Grateful for any other ideas or suggestions.

Cheers

Tom

# 6 19-07-2010 , 05:32 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
try Normals>set to face. Failing this, Maya has an issue with the mesh so just export as an obj an re-import it.

cheers
Jay

# 7 20-07-2010 , 01:12 AM
Hi Jay,

Thank you for the suggestions.

I tried normals/set to face but was unable to change the appearance of the filled polygons. The only way I could get a consistent look to the whole podbody was to select the entire body and then do normals/set face which resulted in a zeppelin like canvass stretched over frame appearance and not the seamless smoothed appearance of before.

I'm not sure how to export as an object. It's not a choice I'm given in the pull down menu in file/export selection/file type menu. I tried exporting a mayabinary file and reimporting it but not a lot happened.

I am a complete newb so don't assume too much. I could be failing to do something very basic.

The only way I can get the smooth appearance is to smooth the object again which is not great because of the extra polygons and their irregular shape.

Any further ideas or suggestions greately appreciated.

Jay, Your Gordon Ramsay is a classic by the way. You nailed him. You were quite kind to him, but you captured him brilliantly.

Cheers

Tom

# 8 20-07-2010 , 01:17 AM
EduSciVis-er
To export .obj go into your plugin manager (Window > Settings/Prefs > Plug-in manager) and check the objExport plugin.

You can also resoften the normals you want by selecting the relevant edges, and go Normals > Soften edge...

Hope that helps.

# 9 20-07-2010 , 06:21 AM
I think in most circumstances, you will find that a smooth normal value of 30 works pretty good. The lower the value, the harder the edges will be and the higher the value, the smoother.

1. Like stwert said...Normal>soften edge

2. After you click soften edge, you should see the polySoftEdge node in the channel box. Click on it to expand it and you will be able to change the value to whatever look you need.

good luck

Attached Thumbnails

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 10 20-07-2010 , 09:20 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Tom Knowles
I tried normals/set to face but was unable to change the appearance of the filled polygons. The only way I could get a consistent look to the whole podbody was to select the entire body and then do normals/set face which resulted in a zeppelin like canvass stretched over frame appearance and not the seamless smoothed appearance of before.

i've not used that command before but i assume you can do that again and do what stwert said about soften edges

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 11 22-07-2010 , 06:35 AM
The thin red line
Have you tryed deleting the problem pollys, I think you have pollys over pollys...............dave

# 12 22-07-2010 , 08:56 PM
Hi Guys,

Thank you very much for all the suggestions.

normal/soften edges worked a dream. the podbody has regained its baby smooth appearance.

There were a few polys over polys (see my previous comment), and they may have contributed to the split face appearance of a couple of the polys.

I do have a further problem related to this problem but slightly different, so I'm going to start a different thread.

Thank you for all your help.
This place is awesome.

Cheers

Tom