Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 01-01-2011 , 12:26 AM

January Challenge: Before and After - Perfecto

I googled and found this photo. I cropped off part of the sky. Not exactly sure what I'm going to do with it but some possible thoughts I have right now are sign, vehicle, and bench. If I do a vehicle I will look for a free one I can download. If I do bench or sign or other simple objects, I'll just model them.

Attached Thumbnails

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!

Last edited by Perfecto; 01-01-2011 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Forgot to put my name in the title
# 2 01-01-2011 , 12:42 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
great mate, get started once you are over the new year of course LOL

Jay

# 3 01-01-2011 , 05:15 PM
Logo design for covering up the clock. It was inspired by the "R" logo in the Disney CG movie "Meet the Robinsons". In my case it will be for Rothfeldt Industries instead of Robinson Industries. The bottom right design is what I'll be creating.

Attached Thumbnails

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 4 01-01-2011 , 06:37 PM
Subscriber
Cool looking R, nice to see the concepts. I never draw out ideas, it's probably what slows down my creations.

# 5 01-01-2011 , 09:21 PM
Thanks Rhetoric.

I figured the best way to show my progress was to just record myself. Here's a timelapse of me modeling the Logo. I won't record the texturing mapping though cuz it will just crash my computer.

YouTube - Simply Maya Comp (Jan 2011)_LogoTimeLapse

Exceed Expectations!
# 6 02-01-2011 , 05:46 PM
Does this look ok for color scheme of the logo?

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 7 02-01-2011 , 07:32 PM
Subscriber
I like the color, although I'll have to admit I was expecting it to be red for some reason.

# 8 02-01-2011 , 09:22 PM
Lifetime Member
NIce logo mate...yeh I like the colour...not too sharp and easy on the eye.

Good start man!

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 9 02-01-2011 , 09:45 PM
@ Rhetoric: I actually had a red version but my wife and son both liked the blue the best. The red did look pretty sweet too though.

I just finished making a simple sign texture to go by the front door. I'm going to make one of those square signs that has the florescent lights inside. Hard to explain but I'll be modeling it very shortly. I've seen a few around where I live and it was the first thing that came to mind. Here's the texture. I used gimp to create it.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 10 02-01-2011 , 11:12 PM
The Nurb Herd
hats off to you for using gimp... i can't even change the brush size.

# 11 03-01-2011 , 01:33 AM
@ honestdom: haha, I'm too poor to afford photoshop but gimp isn't too bad. I've read it has alot of similarities as photoshop. It gets the job done though, I guess that's all that really matters.

Here's me modeling the sign...and a test render.

YouTube - Simply Maya Comp (Jan 2011) Sign_Time Lapse

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 12 03-01-2011 , 02:12 AM
Lifetime Member
Mate that is cool...you are off to a good start LOL

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 13 03-01-2011 , 06:09 AM
Copyright question. My wife found me a bench to model but the picture is copyrighted. I will be using that picture as a reference while I'm modeling. If I record myself modeling and the photo appears in the video, is that copyright infringement?

Exceed Expectations!
# 14 03-01-2011 , 06:47 AM
Lifetime Member
I would imagine so mate...any replication/publication etc would be....just create a vector image and add some slight changes and I would think it then nullifies this??

bullet1968

# 15 03-01-2011 , 07:13 AM
I figured as much...better safe than sorry right?

Btw, where's eveybody's entries? I hope I'm not going to be the only participant in this challenge.

Exceed Expectations!