Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 06-02-2013 , 10:32 PM

La Mansi

Hey all, I am newish to Simply Maya and I thought I would start posting on the forums to get feedback on my work and learn some more, I am going to attempt to recreate this image using Maya and Photoshop. Progress will be slow as I am working on 2 projects already which need to come first. I believe this will help improve my skills in modeling, texturing, rendering, and composition which is why I chose this image, it will challenge me in texturing and rendering mostly which is where I lack and need major improvement so any help from the community would be great when I get to that stage.

Thank you
Scott John Mansfield

Attached Images
# 2 07-02-2013 , 05:04 AM
Lifetime Member
I would seriously go for a much simpler image if you are going to learn lighting etc Scott. This is a very intense scene man....I would start of with a simple room with a table and chair etc

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 07-02-2013 , 10:50 AM
Okay buddy, I will keep this one on hold then as I have already blocked it out and started adding details user added image I will make a simple room with furniture, and play with the texturing, lighting, and rendering for testing purposes then continue on this.

Thanks
Scott

# 4 07-02-2013 , 08:00 PM
Super Moderator
I think it also depends on how you learn. Some people dive right in and slowly slug it out and while it might not turn out exactly how you've envisioned it, you learned A LOT (the hard way lol). Of course, only you know your limitations. It is a pretty complex scene and I'd like to see what you've got so far. If you're starting to learn texturing/shading then yeah it's a bit much, if you're challenging yourself then go for it!

- Genny
# 5 07-02-2013 , 11:23 PM
Yeh I am challenging myself a bit user added image I like a challenge so I will keep at it but first I will do a few tests by modeling a room with a little furniture and play with textures and lighting, then move on to modeling the mansion still user added image

# 6 08-02-2013 , 12:57 PM
Lifetime Member
Modelling wise Gen I know he will be ok...but to learn all the other stuff in one hit...no way. I also know who this mysterious person is user added image and I know his limits outside of modelling. By all means mate keep blocking it out..but stick with a simple room even without furniture! Try the interior lighting tut...you will be surprised how difficult it is, I found that out the hard way user added image

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 7 08-02-2013 , 01:05 PM
maybe it is me...