Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 17-05-2011 , 04:54 PM
rm3d

edge loop messing up geometry

hey i was wondering does placing an edge loop effect the geometry compared to using the split polygon tool? i notice that somethimes when i place an edge loop then apply a smooth it is very noticeable that there is an edge there?

the more I Think I know about Maya the less I seem to know about it.

check me out www.rm3d.co.uk
# 2 17-05-2011 , 05:13 PM
EduSciVis-er
I think split poly will do the same thing. You might have to smooth out the edge loop with average vertices or sculpt geometry tool, or just move it using normal average to get it to smooth better. Someone with more experience could probably help more (I guess it depends on the type of geometry). But essentially, adding loops with split poly or insert loop will change how it smoothses (?).

# 3 17-05-2011 , 05:26 PM
The thin red line
also check out the smooth settings in edge loop that would change the way it would look..........dave

# 4 17-05-2011 , 10:27 PM
rm3d
cheers guys noted for the next time i see it happen, and yea i think it is to do with the smoothing, shall play around with the smoothing angle. user added image

the more I Think I know about Maya the less I seem to know about it.

check me out www.rm3d.co.uk