Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 24-08-2011 , 07:39 PM
Subscriber

Magazines/Publications

Hi all,

After reading the featured interview about Michael McKinley I went out and bought his book; 'Maya Studio Projects - Game Environments & Props' and I'm finding it a HUGE help in expanding my environment creation skills.

I was just wondering if anyone else can recommend other books or publications that help(ed) them in developing their skills? I'd be most interested in something like a regular/monthly publication such as a 3D modelling magazine or a game design magazine (as game design is really my 'angle') but my local Asda (that's Walmart to you guys across the pond!) doesn't have a very good selection on-hand. Sometimes I go to get my regular PC Gamer and they've just decided not to order it in that month!

Here's a couple of props I made today, the brick wall and ivy were made by following tutorials within the book, and the bollard was just a bit of fun before I started working on the next project; an acacia tree (which I'm doing as I write this).

user added image

Thanks for any tips user added image

Martin.

# 2 24-08-2011 , 07:51 PM
Technical Director

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 24-08-2011 , 07:54 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
As far as magazines there are two choices, 3D world and 3D artist.
I prefer 3D world but some would disagree so I'm not going to recommend one over the other. Last time I checked most Asdas sold both...
If you have an iOS device there's a 3D artist app where you can get your first issue for quite cheap if you want to try it.

# 4 24-08-2011 , 08:02 PM
Technical Director
I used to enjoy 3d world, but I've found the tutorials to not really relate to many real-world situations, and were really more of "overviews". The news and such could be found in countless other places on the net for free. I've found the same with 3d artist.

This is a great website: https://www.deathfall.com/forums/

# 5 24-08-2011 , 11:35 PM
Subscriber

This is a fantastic book: https://ant-online.co.uk/writing/game...t-with-maya-2/

THAT looks immense! Definitely getting that one.

Thanks a load for the replies, I'll get me a copy of 3D World and 3D Artist next time I pass a decent magazine stockist and see if either of them suits me user added image

I also found this book about texturing on Amazon (link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/3D-Game-Text...4228792&sr=8-1) does anyone know if it's any good? The reviews are generally favourable but don't portray it as anything amazing. It's the closest I can find to a book all about texturing techniques. If there are any other good books on texturing please let me know!

Thanks again,

Martin.

# 6 25-08-2011 , 02:28 AM
Technical Director

# 7 25-08-2011 , 10:06 AM
The Nurb Herd
hahaha that woman has a real nice smile. That has to be one of the worst front covers. You'd think it would put people off buying the book.

# 8 25-08-2011 , 10:23 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
haha yeah I agree, love the clawed unatural hand as well.

Other books I recommend are Maya character Creation by Chris Maraffi

Zbrush Digital Sculpting - Human Anatomy by Scott Spencer

Zbrush Character Creation by Scott Spencer

and if you are feeling loose with the purse strings try Essence - The Face by ballistic publishing and their Matte Painting books 1 and 2

I have all of the above books and more but these are the best ones by far.

Jay

# 9 25-08-2011 , 11:03 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
damn Ever since I started with digital studios I find it damn near difficult to read a pdf