Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 17-07-2011 , 12:27 PM

Flange help

Hello everyone

I've just read the post by ctbram and seen a really nice way to deal with connecting two primitives.

That's the post:

https://simplymaya.com/forum/showpost...5&postcount=49

I've tried to do it myself but unfortunately I've failed.
I first projected the curve on poly sphere and then used loft on the curves and it ended really messy.

Could anyone, please, tell me how to do it properly? I would be really grateful.

Cheers,

zeto.

# 2 17-07-2011 , 04:27 PM
Yepper. That is the way I did it as well but there are a few things that help. https://simplymaya.com/forum/showpost...5&postcount=49

1. First you need to actually smooth the sphere before projecting the circle on to it to get a better fit.

2. Next you have to rebuild the curve because the result of the projection will have to many vertices. If the resulting curve is to messy you may need to smooth the sphere more before projection and rebuild again until you get a good fit to the sphere and the projected curve is clean and not overly dense. You will may have to tweak from verts.

Note the final sphere does not have to be the smoothed one. You just need the smoothed one to get good curvature to project the circle curve onto. Remember to rebuild and reduce the number of verts in the projected curve.

3. delete the history

4. rebuild the curve on surface (uniform, 0 to span, cv's - in this case it was 125)

5. rebuild the curve again this time with a smaller number of cv's - in this example I rebuilt to 25 spans)

6. now you have the base clean curve, go to the channel settings for the sphere and set divisions back to 0 - this gives you the original low poly sphere and the curve will fit it perfectly when smoothed

The picture below demonstrates...

A - the circle to be projected
B - the result of the projection messy and not smooth because it was an 8x8 polysphere
C - 8x8 polysphere

1 - 8x8 polyshpere smoothed 3 divisions
2 - projected curve - very dense and messy
3 - rebuilt curve (uniform, 0 to span, cv's - 125 in this case) and still way to dense
4- rebuild curve again - this time (uniform, 0 to span, 25 spans) and I could prolly take this wll the way to 12 spans and it would still be a very close fit

At the top is the original sphere preview smoothed (3-key) and the 25 span curve used to create the lofted flange. I lofted to a polygon surface at degree 1 and added some edges for the correct tension.

Attached Thumbnails

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 17-07-2011 at 10:31 PM.
# 3 17-07-2011 , 05:03 PM
Oh, great mini tutorial. I will try it out soon.

Thank you for your time and efforts.

To be honest i didn't expect such detailed answer user added image

Have a good day!

Thanks again,

Cheers