Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 22-07-2011 , 09:11 PM
Subscriber

how do i create quick launch buttons?

like i see them in tut videos but how do i make them? I mean like say a center pivot tool icon on my shelf so i don't have to go into the edit->center pivot. Also other things like add edge loop shelf icon, how would i make these? are they a script or something else? trying to save time and want to use these

thank you

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
# 2 22-07-2011 , 09:36 PM
Subscriber
Click on this buttonm create a new shelf, and then name it whatever you want. Then, when your'e in that shelf, go through the menus and shift+ctrl click on the items you want on the shelf. Make sure you save the shelf if you want it to still be there next time...

So if you want center pivot on the shelf. Find it in the modify menu, hover over 'center pivot', and shift+ctrl click on it.

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 22-07-2011 , 09:37 PM
Super Moderator
When you're about to select the tool or action in the menu, just hold ctrl + shift and left click it, it will be sent to the active shelf.

Ah damn you Ben and your quick fingers lol.

- Genny
# 4 22-07-2011 , 09:46 PM
Subscriber
lol. Sorry Gen user added image

# 5 22-07-2011 , 10:34 PM
Subscriber
ok nice
will try and get back to you

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
# 6 23-07-2011 , 01:20 AM
Subscriber
works. nice
thanks guys

# 7 27-07-2011 , 02:54 AM

works. nice
thanks guys

I found it very useful for many tools that I use! I'm terrible at memorizing the Hotbox system, so I use the Shelf system.

I put my favorite MEL scripts there too. Center Pivot, Delete History, Extrude tool, Add Edge Loop, Merge Vertex, delete Edges/vertex, etc. Just to name a few. I think every tool can be put on a shelf. Some pictures will look the same, and if you dive into it further, you can edit the picture or put a few letters so you know what it is.

Have fun with it! :-)

https://deannabono.blogspot.com - My Portfolio Progress. Take a gander. Enjoy!
# 8 27-07-2011 , 04:22 AM
Lifetime Member
LOL I get stuck between the two...for extrusions and creating primitives I use the shelf but mostly the hotbox.....just a space bar and you are there...for the basics of course. Its a pity you cant tear off the shelf...I get quite used to using the icon based system....I know in ACAD you can customise a 'shelf' and rip it off into the workzone. I do it with my civilcad when doing lots of DTM data...unless you can rip the shelf off??

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes