Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 02-09-2011 , 11:14 AM
Great community

Which OS?

Hi,

I really don't know if I'm writing to right forum section, but would like to ask you under which OS I'll get the most of performance of Maya. Is it Mac OS or Windows ? Let's thought that hardware will be the same under both OSs....

Creck

# 2 02-09-2011 , 07:48 PM
Technical Director
Well, if you're using an Apple certified mac (Eg it came from them, stock) it's going to work with no problems.

If you're using Hackintosh, I wouldn't expect it to work brilliantly.

I would say OSX would be a bit faster, but that's just me. I find they have less services and ram-hogging applications running, just to run the OS.

Don't forget linux either! Most render nodes are running linux as it's very lightweight.

So in short, I would say Mac if you're running real Apple hardware, or Linux if you're running a PCish box.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Last edited by NextDesign; 02-09-2011 at 07:50 PM.
# 3 02-09-2011 , 08:20 PM
Great community
I've got a desktop PC and wanted to try Hackintosh, but as you says it could be faster with real Mac. Which version of Linux have you thought ? Ubuntu ?

Btw under which system do you run ? user added image

Last edited by Creck; 02-09-2011 at 08:26 PM.
# 4 03-09-2011 , 01:28 AM
Technical Director

# 5 03-09-2011 , 02:22 AM
EduSciVis-er
The hardware is going to make a much bigger difference than the OS. Maya should run with few problems on Windows, Mac, or Linux, assuming you've got a legit copy and the hardware is compatible with the OS.

All that being said, it probably comes down to your personal preference. Whatever you're most familiar with will give you least headaches, and if you want the performance, see what hardware you can get for your buck (like an SSD and lotsa RAM).

# 6 03-09-2011 , 05:55 AM
Great community
I've got 6GB RAM DDR3; hope it should be enough for beginning....SSD makes so huge improvement against classic HDD ?And what do you think about Ubuntu, is working and rendering under that OS much faster with Windows ?

Last edited by Creck; 03-09-2011 at 09:21 AM.
# 7 03-09-2011 , 01:59 PM
Technical Director
6 GB is fine. SSD won't make a large difference with Maya, as the only time it's reading/writing from the hard drive, is when you're loading/saving files. Everything else is done in memory.

I don't know about Ubuntu, but since it has the same base as openSUSE it should be fine. The differences between OSes is going to be so negligible, I wouldn't worry about it.

# 8 03-09-2011 , 06:42 PM
SM Tea Boy
Maya will work fine under Ubuntu I find it slightly faster and more stable, but really go with whatever OS your most comfortable with.

Dave

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 9 04-09-2011 , 02:04 AM
I like this thread. I almost went with linux but chickened out...., DOn't know too much about linux but it looks interesting- I installed ubuntu on my old laptop, but I get the impression that this particular version of linux has a lot of extra stuff in it in order to make it compatible with a lot of different hardware. The whole thing about using Terminal to install programs is a little weird, but cool.

As for the hackintosh thing, if you plan your hardware purchases properly you can have better/cheaper alternative.

suse sounds like a better bet- I'll look into that!

Thanks!

Last edited by me2011; 04-09-2011 at 02:07 AM.