Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 16 15-10-2011 , 01:55 PM
Senior Software Developer
I work from home in my own job as it easier and gives stability to my home life and I save some cash from travelling.

Now to stay motivated I have the 2 things:
The threat of being fired.
A large daily work list and busy office.

Now I have read that sometimes being dressed and with shoes on helps give you the feeling of working. But personally it's what Jay said, you sound bored.

My advise would be to create a daily task list work through it only allow yourself short breaks of 10 mins and turn off any distractions like the TV. I use music to help me work, so that's on instead of other background noise to distract myself. I do get bored at times and everyone does through out the day, so a large element is self discipline and unfortunately the younger you are the harder it is to maintain your own discipline. At 38 and with 11 years military service I have learned over time to discipline myself. Also to ensure you don't over work, never start a task you won't finish with your set period for work time. I work at my job 9-5 and take 40 min for lunch and sometimes I don't take lunch depending on what I am doing. If you stick to your guns, you will be able to discipline your work and achieve more in your day.

Just some advice and some may not be relevant to you, but take what you need.

---
I am here: https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=55.899039,-3.530904
publicFunction (Chris) - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 17 15-10-2011 , 09:40 PM
I feel you pain, same situation for me as well but a lot worse, I also look after my 2 daughters who are 2 and 3 years old. To then work and organise my team of artists is very hard work.

What I have been doing is playing some epic soundtracks which include LotR, Gladiator, last of the Mohicans and many more. I also run livestreams for our community, knowing people are watching you is always high motivation to work harder lol.

Even after the kids are in bed I then sit down to make up for the lost time during the day, but I do try to sqeeze a game in here and there.

# 18 15-10-2011 , 11:12 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Don't know if it is of any use, but I usually "blossom"in the evening/nighttime, somehow I get more stuff done then.
During the day my mind kinda blocks and in the end I get annoyed, switching between programs/different disciplines helps sometimes, but what almost always helps is doing something small nothing to complex to get the taste, in your case I might suggest creating a wing mirror or a tire, which is relative simple and might trigger "the fun factor" again.

# 19 16-10-2011 , 10:52 AM
Yeah completely agree, best time for me is when the kids are in bed. headphones on, music playing and then work.

Lee Perkins
Forsaken Studios
Art Director

www.embersofcaerus.com - www.forsakenstudios.com
# 20 16-10-2011 , 12:06 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Once your kids are older and if you are still working from home...its just as relaxing to work in the day too.

J

# 21 16-10-2011 , 12:23 PM
I would avoid working at night. You need to have the evening as the distraction, otherwise you run the risk of not getting sleep as your mind is still too active.

---
I am here: https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=55.899358,-3.530394

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix

Last edited by publicFunction; 16-10-2011 at 12:34 PM.
# 22 16-10-2011 , 12:23 PM
Yeah, well once I move to the US I will be working in the office and the misses can stay home. My misses is a nursery nurse manager, so once we are out there and settled she plans to start her own childcare business working from home.

Lee Perkins
Forsaken Studios
Art Director

www.embersofcaerus.com - www.forsakenstudios.com
# 23 16-10-2011 , 01:50 PM
Acid44
In my case working at night is the only option, I'm in Canada and my boss is in Australia and wants all the updates he can get right now, I move a vert, he wants an update user added image I get a decent 4-6 hours of sleep in the morning though, from around 8 or 9 AM to whenever I wake up

As for the distractions, I started putting my headphones to use, but then the front jack on my PC decided to crap out, so now I have to plug them into the control console thing of my speakers, so the wires draped over my desk, which distracts me. I'm getting used to the grind though, I've tested myself with and without the onscreen timer from Grindstone and find that with it up there i get a lot more done.

@Ransid - That whole Tapatalk showing where you are thing is creepy user added image I'm pretty sure it's shown us where you live user added image

# 24 16-10-2011 , 03:34 PM
Lol acid. Yes it posts from my current geolocation. So wherever I am it posts the Lat Lng. 😃. Mostly it will be from my house. It's only used when I reply from my iPhone and not from my pc directly.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter