Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 241 28-11-2012 , 05:47 AM

exhausting....

Just progress on another rig in Maya.

Attached Thumbnails
# 242 06-12-2012 , 10:42 AM
So this is my speedy solution to rigging a standard biped. It uses a constraint plugin and I did the skeleton in c4d because of joint projection and the alignment simplicity. In all the rig took about 30 min to do from scratch.

SpeedRigging on Vimeo

Last edited by Chavfister; 06-12-2012 at 10:58 AM.
# 243 09-12-2012 , 05:13 AM
I decided to do a scan of my father on some iphone snaps. For the most part it only provides a base. You still have to define things and sculpt. But it is coming along and he will be talking in no time. Before it took weeks to just get something close to this. And it honestly wasn't even that good. But you learn over time and it has been a year since I last tackled this.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Chavfister; 09-12-2012 at 09:33 AM.
# 244 11-12-2012 , 05:22 PM
Test render I did earlier after seeing a c4d site and a bedroom tut they were doing. Didn't follow their tut but just decided to spend 20 min on the room to see what I could pull out of it.

Attached Thumbnails
# 245 12-12-2012 , 10:30 PM

UI Progress

So I have entered into the UI stage of the character stuff. Should have this wrapped up soon enough. Here is the Maya facial UI so far. The buttons all work and I am going to throw in some sliders for eyelid functionality and lip rolls. Might do a tab for blendshapes. Dont really know. Will be doing the same thing for the body as well.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Chavfister; 13-12-2012 at 10:34 AM.
# 246 14-12-2012 , 12:24 PM

More UI Progress

Just rounding things out...

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Chavfister; 15-12-2012 at 12:23 PM.
# 247 28-12-2012 , 12:04 AM
Been continuing on the facial rigging with stuff and also testing out the infinite head for a pipeline with facial and SSS. Couple test snaps. One uses just area lights and the other uses sIBL GUI. I need to still do the eyes but the lids and all are rigged off joints and curves. Progress nevertheless. I really like the new colorbleeding in the 2013 version. Def helps and is really easy to set up.

EDIT: another IBL test with the full linear workflow on sIBL. Gonna keep pushing

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Chavfister; 29-12-2012 at 01:10 AM.
# 248 29-12-2012 , 11:30 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Ahh the Lee Perry Smith Head from Infinate Reality....we use it for vray skin testing at work.

Im not liking the 2nd and 3rd images, really nasty bump and washed out nostrils etc.

As this thread has been going since Jesus, I've kind of lost the point of it, 'rendering to rigging to modelling and back again' - A Chavfister's tale. Is it just you testing stuff out for your own personal thing or is there a bigger picture? because theres alot of stuff you are showing but not explaining like the rigging techniques, is this from personal knowledge or from another tute and so on....

Jay

# 249 29-12-2012 , 03:35 PM
The bigger picture has always been a game. Leon and I have been building it for quite some time. But I need to learn different aspects of things to execute the game in the long run. My role being in the build process in charge of the character pipeline and other aspects. Things come from tutorials, siggraph papers, GDC papers, and rigs or models that I have found online. You never get inspired from just one place and it in reality it takes a long time to actually get anything decent. Considering I finally switched over to using Maya 3 months ago I have been relearning the app so I can port to Cry or Unity. What exactly are you curious about? I am happy to say anything I have done and possibly even make you a video on exactly what I did whether it be correct or not. The UI is built with QT and mel commands. The body rig was built just as the speed rig was shown but I do go in and change things to add twist joints and a functional head. The head rigging is learned from CGMonks tools and Image Metrics examples since the end game uses their faceware retargeter. The skin was taken from a thread on CGFeedback trying to learn Maya SSS and lighting with linear settings.

As for the photos I don't like any of them. There is much work to do and my next area of study is on render passes to pump the passes out and be able to composite them in nuke or PS for a still. I will most likely do them in still in PS first. Just as I don't like the base render out of ZBrush and take it into Photoshop for tweaking. The first photo was done strictly from area lights and nothing else. The second photo was done in the car on the way to Virginia for Christmas and I really didn't know what to gamma correct on the IBL's I was ingesting. The 3rd and 4th photo are the exact same head and setup but a different IBL on each. One being theatrical and the other being a normal daytime example. Over the next few days given Christmas holiday I am going to sit down and finish the eyes and get Lee Perry Smith talking with the IM stuff.

# 250 29-12-2012 , 03:47 PM
Cool, I was just curious generally, as theres lots going on in here, hence my confusion ...no biggie user added image

cheers for the insight

Jay

# 251 30-12-2012 , 06:12 PM
Yeah none of the techniques Collin is using are ground breaking or anything. We are just working together to have a solid pipe that enables us to work fast and create solid / good looking work with very fast turnaround times. I have always found people are not keen on the working fast method and prefer a slow and calculated approach. I am all for being calculated and correct but I am not happy with working on creating stuff and it taking months instead of days.
Myself and Collin managed to get a character modeled, rigged and talking with faceware in what was about 1 week. This time frame can be brought down to 4 days, I personally find this to be a great achievement, I have worked in studios and never seen work completed in such time frames with teams. Much of this was Collins doing and I personally find hes level of knowledge and understanding of 3d to be solid and extremely beneficial. I know we are not reinventing the wheel but it is essential to be able to watch and learn from people who are at the top of the ladder in this industry and these are exactly the people who he has been watching.
To create a game with a team of two is for me a real challenge and although I am getting assistance from a great concept artist and a good friend who understands cry engine 3 more than me, it would be foolish for us to get to involved in creating everything to be perfect or we will find ourselves with very little as time goes by. Our aim is to have a fully playable tech demo in about 5 months time.
1st off I don't want myself showing up on this thread to be seen as me waving my 3d cock around saying look at me at all. I am an average/mediocre 3d artist but know myself to be a decent person and for me that is all that counts for anything. Anyone can do what myself and Collin are and if anyone asks a question regarding Collins methods etc I know he is more than happy to share. I have sat over many skype sessions and learned more from Collin about 3d than I learned over the years I sat trying to teach myself from sites such as digi tutors and Gnomon. Prob some 5 years or more on my own to 1 year spent learning off Collin.
I can see this thread might seem a bit of a mess but it is one person learning the pipeline and fundamentals for 3d while hopefully offering some tips and advice to other 3d users. I know Collin is also working on a full tutorial on the character used for faceware. Showing how to setup the body, face, UI etc etc and give away the full working files as well.

https://vimeo.com/55800766

Last edited by leonlabyk; 30-12-2012 at 06:15 PM.
# 252 30-12-2012 , 06:25 PM

Yeah none of the techniques Collin is using are ground breaking or anything

yes I know. I agree hats off to you for your efforts. Dont feel Im attacking Chavfister for his efforts. I am just simply curious as to what it was all for...

carry on
J

# 253 31-12-2012 , 12:45 AM
Cheers bud,

Always feel that the harder you work the better it goes in the long run. Can be tough working a full time job and then coming home to do another full sting on our thing while Col puts in a 16 hr shift min, hence I feel bad when people post stuff on hes thread sometimes. I know there is no bashing going on but can just come across that way sometimes, just how it goes when it is written in word as conversation always leads to better discussion and end results etc.
Col often comes across the same when we type stuff on skype, words are just very direct and conversation is the only way to really work with this stuff in my opinion. Some are very diff but I always suck with html tutes etc but when it is a vid with someone talking about workflows etc it always hit home a x10 for me.

Anyhow hope everyone had an excellent Christmas and are all looking forward to the new year, I am just hoping the fireworks I set off go a lot better this time than my previous event....

# 254 31-12-2012 , 12:53 AM
Yeah well we all work long hours in this industry....thats a given.

Yeah words are always difficult to derive in a written conversation. Thats why I asked what the thread was for generally.

With regards to character turn around in a week, that would be expected in some studios..hands down. More so in televison where budgets are smaller. Games get longer than films in some cases because of development time. Films have big budgets but turnaround is getting quicker and quicker for that as well these days, its ludicrous. Thats why some fx laden films tend to look crappy and no different to TV.

Time is money as they say, so just do the best you can with what time you have

Jay

# 255 01-01-2013 , 01:29 AM
Been setting this guy up for the last hour or so. Repetition is my friend. I have some things to fix on him in the UV's and the mouth. The textures are at 2k and I think I am gonna switch to 4k. Like always I just keep doing...

Attached Thumbnails