Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 16-11-2011 , 11:08 PM

TV material?

I am working on a piece for my portfolio, and wanted to get a broad opinion.

One of the pieces in the scene is a TV.

I'm kind of scratching my head on what kind of material to use for the glass part. It will be shown as a static (snow), so the colors won't matter. The TV is old school curved glass style.

I'm currently using a Blinn with slight reflection. However, after looking around, I am wondering if a Fresnel surface will look better? If I use that, will it be better to use a Mia_Material_X and turn on the Fresnel reflections?

If I do that method, will it be expensive when it renders?
Or is it moot?

https://deannabono.blogspot.com - My Portfolio Progress. Take a gander. Enjoy!
# 2 15-01-2012 , 12:15 AM
I was also wondering how to create a material for the tv screen. Although I have a LCD. Dont think it matters, but I too would like to know.

A ton of views, but no answers?

# 3 15-01-2012 , 12:41 AM
The Nurb Herd
use mia mat x.
fresnel reflection is the amount of reflection on a surface depending on the viewing angle.
think of a shop window. looking directly at it, you see through it. But, if you are looking at it from the side, you see reflections as if were a mirror.

making a glass shader for a tv screen could be simple or complicated depending on what your needs are.

# 4 15-01-2012 , 03:19 AM
Super Moderator
I do believe most objects hase some degree of fresnel effect, I looked around for a reference table to no avail. If you google "old tv set" you'll notice they're decently reflective, (0.2 reflectivity from a dead on angle could be in the ballpark), I remember making faces my grandparents' set.

P.s
You enjoy uv mapping? Ack!!!!! Lol user added image

- Genny

Last edited by GecT; 15-01-2012 at 03:22 AM.