Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 16 07-02-2012 , 07:04 AM
Subscriber
just for future should i get the UVs set up before i combine everything or do i have to wait till I make it all 1 object?

# 17 07-02-2012 , 07:55 PM
or the object may not have been grouped which means it's a leaf node. But I recall that I got that odd behavior when I had some objects grouped or combined. I have not had a chance to seriously model for a while but I think the problem had to do with local and world coordinates of parent and child objects. That is why I suggested ungrouping things. I should have put separate at the top so you could delete history on all the individual objects.

All the steps I listed were on the objects (the main modeling UI not the UV editor).

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 07-02-2012 at 08:02 PM.
# 18 07-02-2012 , 07:58 PM
You should have tested after each step to see which cleared the problem. I am assuming the problem is now fixed?

I think it is best to UV individual objects and then combine them. It just makes the UV editor less cluttered.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 19 07-02-2012 , 08:14 PM
Subscriber
the problem itself was not resolved as it still picks random UV verticies if i try to pick anything, but everything is already organized so it is currently a moot point now. everything is texturing fine I just wish that this process didnt have to be as painful as it was.

The scene file itself is also moving slower since i started to map out the UVs. I tried doing an optimization as someone suggested and its moving a bit smoother now, but it's still lagging behind as oppesed to before I started the UV mapping.

# 20 07-02-2012 , 08:19 PM
I guess the problem I had was a different one. I would select uv's or verts in one place and the manupulator would appear in a different place in (x,y,z) space.

# 21 07-02-2012 , 08:22 PM
Subscriber
that happens as well but its because its picking multiple UVs all over the map

# 22 07-02-2012 , 09:12 PM
Subscriber
additional question if I map the UV's before I mirror, will the mirrored pieces automatically be mapped?

# 23 08-02-2012 , 03:37 PM
It looks like a UV transfert between two meshes that have the same topology, but not the same polygon order.
when you select a vertex in 3D space is it the same position in the UV space?
if you turn on UV borders are all the edges cut?

mirror: yeah but they will be flipped

# 24 09-02-2012 , 05:31 AM
Subscriber
I had to scrap the whole thing and start over there were too many things bugging out. SO far though the new mesh is coming out with better topology than the original. I can maybe even use this one in Zbrush to get the textures instead of hundreds of polygons.

One more question when I make my UV map should I keep it in low poly or should I go ahead and smooth it out before I transfer over to photoshop, or does it matter?

# 25 09-02-2012 , 07:47 AM
The thin red line
Keep it low poly much easyer..............dave