Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 28-02-2012 , 03:21 AM
EduSciVis-er

Petition for 2D forum section

Hey all (and mostly David),
Just wanted to formally place my request to have a (small) section of this glorious forum dedicated to 2D art, including posting user work, questions, and techniques. Anything from pencil to Photoshop CS6 goes. Virtually all 3D art starts as 2D images in the pre-production phase and it would be a shame to pass over this necessary part of our work. The current sticky thread is great, but obviously limiting in terms of real conversation, critique, and visibility.

Anyone who feels the same way can put in a vote of "aye" = "please put this on the to-do list for the site programmers". Just because this site is so awesome and so are the admins that make it so, David, Nilla, Jay etc etc.

Edit: I should say you can also give your opinion of "no, not necessary" or whatever.

# 2 28-02-2012 , 03:25 AM
Lifetime Member
"aye" = "please put this on the to-do list for the site programmers". Just because this site is so awesome and so are the admins that make it so, David, Nilla, Jay etc etc.

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 28-02-2012 , 04:51 AM
I think it's an excellent idea. Having decent reference images to work off of is pretty nice.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 4 28-02-2012 , 05:39 AM
Subscriber
aye

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters. Booooo

# 5 28-02-2012 , 07:08 AM
Technical Director
I would say that it's not needed. This is a 3d forum focusing on Maya specifically. There is nothing stopping you from posting your 2d work in a 3d wip. As you said, most 3d work starts as 2d. Therefore, it should go with your 3d work.

Creating a new forum takes a lot of work, as to tailor it to the subject matter would mean a lot of back-end reworking, on top of what Dave is already doing.

Don't think that I'm trying to stop this; however I fear it would just be a "passing fad", where it would be used only by a few people, and only when it was new. People say they would be interested in it, but once it's out there, would you really use it?

If you really want to get feedback on your 2d work, you should go to a 2d specific forum, where people know about techniques and the medium better. I believe we should be working on video content, and refining what we have, rather than trying to expand the site to something else.

Just my thoughts.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 6 28-02-2012 , 08:51 AM
Motion Graphic Designer

2D forum section

aye

please put this on the to-do list for the site programmers

Moh.Murtaza Mohammadi

knowledge is power
# 7 28-02-2012 , 01:30 PM
EduSciVis-er
ND, thanks for that opinion, and you make fair points. If it's too much trouble for Dave, then of course it won't get implemented and we'll carry on.
However, I think if you go through the 29 pages of the current sticky, you'll see it's not just a passing fad and people continue to post their work, beyond stuff that's tied to their 3D projects.

I think too, that members that are trying to improve their 2D skills (very important) can't get the proper assistance in that format because their topics get lost immediately. I don't think this should be a one-stop serves all forum, but I think because lots of members have lots to offer in this area, and because it is integral to any maya work, it fits here too.

Anyway, just my opinion...

# 8 28-02-2012 , 02:07 PM
The thin red line
I would like to see a 2D forum for you pencil pushing rubber bitting lot and a zbrush/mudbox and a photoshop forum, all stuff that we use to get the job done.............dave

# 9 28-02-2012 , 03:47 PM
I've seen other forums that have too many sections that end up sitting there with spider webs growing on them. If they are part of a related project just include your 2D work along side your WIPs, we get to see it that way.

# 10 28-02-2012 , 06:50 PM
The Nurb Herd
when i read the title i thought you meant compositing, oh well. user added image

i vote nah. i agree with ND, just use the current sections. The sub forum does just say "your work" not specifically 3D. why can't people just post in there?

# 11 28-02-2012 , 08:45 PM
Lifetime Member

Nay but there is a reason

I would say that it's not needed. This is a 3d forum focusing on Maya specifically. There is nothing stopping you from posting your 2d work in a 3d wip. As you said, most 3d work starts as 2d. Therefore, it should go with your 3d work.

Creating a new forum takes a lot of work, as to tailor it to the subject matter would mean a lot of back-end reworking, on top of what Dave is already doing.

Don't think that I'm trying to stop this; however I fear it would just be a "passing fad", where it would be used only by a few people, and only when it was new. People say they would be interested in it, but once it's out there, would you really use it?

If you really want to get feedback on your 2d work, you should go to a 2d specific forum, where people know about techniques and the medium better. I believe we should be working on video content, and refining what we have, rather than trying to expand the site to something else.

Just my thoughts.

I have to say that I agree with next design. This is a Maya website and we should stick to Maya principles I would rather see the admins efforts put towards more excellent tutorials rather than creating another portion of the site to focus on 2d art.

While I love 2d art in all its many forms I just don't believe it should be a focus here. I think the sticky thread is great for what it is. Perhaps we could have another sticky forum strictly for image planes that might be nice but as far as opening up this website to try to encompass 2d I think is to big a task.

If you are really looking for a 2d critic head on over to https://idrawgirls.com/artists/ This place is great they do regular tutorials and the focus is all on 2d. You are likely to find a better professional opinion there than by a bunch of 3d modelers.

at least this is what I think.

- Jake
# 12 28-02-2012 , 08:46 PM
Super Moderator
I don't know about a 2D section, the last few pages of the current 2D thread has like five people posting sketches occasionally and the thread has been there since 2006. If anything, I can't see why not create your own "sketch space" thread in the w.i.p forum and update as you like.

- Genny
# 13 28-02-2012 , 10:13 PM
Lifetime Member

That should work

why not create your own "sketch space" thread in the w.i.p forum and update as you like.

Best solution user added image good thinking

- Jake
# 14 28-02-2012 , 11:00 PM
The thin red line
I would make a case for photoshop or like because we do so much stuff that is not covered my photoshop sites like spec map, bump map and fixing normal maps. I have learn a lot myself to use photoshop but I do not know if this is how the industory does it.......dave

# 15 29-02-2012 , 12:25 AM
Subscriber

I would make a case for photoshop or like because we do so much stuff that is not covered my photoshop sites like spec map, bump map and fixing normal maps. I have learn a lot myself to use photoshop but I do not know if this is how the industory does it.......dave

I agree. If not a separate forum then at least tutorials.

As to 2d, it might be true that it's too distant and to broad topic, it might be better to actually visit some existing 2d forums instead where you'd also get a better feedback, or use WIP session as Genny suggested.

On a side note, the best way to improve a drawing skill is to take some life-drawing classes imo. You can find some 5-10$ drop in sessions in most cities.. it's priceless, I learnt more from that than from any book.