Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 12-04-2012 , 12:22 AM

Attaching a plane onto a sphere

Hey guys,

So I have an object that is a polygon sphere and I want to attach a plane onto the sphere, so that I can put an image onto the plane. I've tried snapping the vertices of the plane onto the sphere, but no luck, it keeps going inside of the sphere and any attempt I make at moving the face out of the sphere ends up in failure.

Can anyone push me in the right direction here? user added image

Thanks for the help!

# 2 12-04-2012 , 12:36 AM
Lifetime Member

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 12-04-2012 , 01:39 AM
Technical Director
Create a plane with a few subdivisions, select the plane, create a sculpt deformer and scale up the created sphere to the size of your sphere. Done user added image

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 4 12-04-2012 , 04:06 AM
tried both and they both worked great, thanks guys!

# 5 12-04-2012 , 04:08 AM
Ok, so I have another question, I've got this plane created and stuck onto my sphere. However, my sphere is already animated for 1700 frames, but without the plane attached to it. Is there a shortcut to making the plane travel throughout the animation on the sphere, or do I need to go through and animate the plane the long way?

Thanks for the help!

# 6 12-04-2012 , 04:32 AM
nevermind, I figured it out...just parented the object and it works great!