Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 61 26-06-2012 , 10:23 PM
Subscriber
Ok only real update is that I have added a bump map to the terrain texture but I have it set at a very low value. The main reason for this post isnt an update is is a comparison between rendering on linux (my main system) and Windows 7 (dual boot). It is a main comparison of memory useage and render times.

In Arch linux it renders in about 4 min uses all avalible memory during render no matter what settings i state in the memory limits under mentalray globals, and after render it is still using 4.63GB.

In Windows 7 it renders in about 20 min uses around 5.2GB during render and thats with 4GB set in memory limits under mentalray globals, and after render it drops back down to 642MB.
(see screen shot)

So does anybody know why this differs so greatly and a way I can fix my linux install as I dont want to have to copy my scenes and textures ect... to windows every time I want to render out a scene. I Have done lots of searching and cant seem to find anyhting online about this and altering the BSP settings doesnt sort out th memory issue in maya in linux!

Attached Thumbnails
# 62 27-06-2012 , 04:27 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
I have previously used an archviz scene in Windows 7 and Snow leopard and honestly render times war pretty much similar. Is it possilbe to upload your project folder so I can check the difference on my systems

# 63 27-06-2012 , 09:56 AM
Subscriber
The link to download the scene file is https://minus.com/lnyHO9XdS9k84 I have exclued the textures as I dont own the rights to distribute some of them so you will have to add your own, but should be named appropriately so you know which slots to place the corrent texture.

Liet me know if you have the same problem if you test in OSx a that more similar to linux than windows.
And if you get the chance to test in a linux distro please let me know!

The scene you need to test is River-HiPoly.mb