Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 18-04-2012 , 05:38 PM

Sort Materials Order at Right Click ??

Hi, i've got used to apply materials right clicking in the mesh and then going to Assign New/Existing Material.

But for a long time now, i can't understand the order Maya uses to sort the existing materials, it doesn't seem to be alphabetical nor time related, and the thing i most wanted to do is to be able to sort that list myself.
Here's a print of what i am talking about:
Would be so much easy if you could just get that list as i wanted, and have for instance all the X materials grouped then the Y materials, phong/blinn etc.. user added image

Attached Images
# 2 18-04-2012 , 06:35 PM
EduSciVis-er
I just did a little test, and it seems to be sorted in the same way as if you go view > by type in the hypergraph. So, by type, then alphabetically. I only tested it with ~8 shaders, but are you sure that's not the case for you?

# 3 18-04-2012 , 07:02 PM

I just did a little test, and it seems to be sorted in the same way as if you go view > by type in the hypergraph. So, by type, then alphabetically. I only tested it with ~8 shaders, but are you sure that's not the case for you?

sry but how do you see them in the hypergraph? i selected all of them in the hypershade and clicked on "input and output connections", but they all appear in there and there are so many connections, other than that i can't seem to find a way to display the materials in the Hypergraph user added image

(also, the hypergraph is immense but it's only for display right? i might be wrong but i believe that vast space uses no order to arrange outer connections) (sry if my english is not good :S (not main language)

# 4 18-04-2012 , 07:27 PM
EduSciVis-er
Sorry... hypershade. My bad.

# 5 19-04-2012 , 03:41 PM
I put the Hypershade sorting the shaders by name and still it doesnt sort them correctly! i have a C after W and pR pR pN pR.. and still it doesnt changes the order they appear when i right click :S (isnt there a way i can sort them manually in hypershade? and even perhaps hide some of them?) some materials belong to layered shaders that i will use only the layered one and not its components, so they could be hidden.

# 6 19-04-2012 , 03:47 PM
Technical Director
To get them to sort, as far as I know, you would have to edit the code for the menus.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 7 30-06-2012 , 12:48 AM

i can't understand the order Maya uses to sort the existing materials, it doesn't seem to be alphabetical nor time related, and the thing i most wanted to do is to be able to sort that list myself.

I would LOVE to know how to see what the order of materials is in maya too. Did you ever figure it out?

I'm exporting models to udk and also Cry with 10+ materials but if I want to add or delete a material in maya the order changes. So when I export the model again I have to re-apply and guess which slots the materials go in. It's hair pulling stuff I tell ya. If I knew what the order had change to in maya I could calmly re-apply them in the engine without all the guess work. If anyone knows how to find this elusive order in maya please help.

# 8 30-06-2012 , 02:48 AM
Technical Director
As I said above, you would need to modify the code to have a sorted list.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.