Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 09-02-2003 , 03:11 AM

texturing

um, consider me total newb----------newayz, i'm trying to apply a texture i made in photoshop to a diamond shaped flat surface. (one of the faces in the diamond shapes below) how can i make a texture that will fit exactly or close???? i'm really not used to maya's shading methods.

-Kozmo
# 2 09-02-2003 , 04:22 AM
Subscriber
Here's what I would do. Open Hypershade and create a surface (blinn, lambert, phonge, whatever) Assign a file texture to it. (the one you made in Photoshop) Now, select the diamond face you want this texture on. Right-click the swatch in hypershade and choose "assign material to selection." You now have that texture on that one face. To make it fit like you want it to, first open up the UV Texture Editor. Select the diamond face and choose Edit Polygons>Texture>Planar Mapping options box. The only thing you need to adjust in here is Mapping Direction. It needs to be set to either the X, Y, or Z axis depending on what axis your face lies on. Anyway, click project. Now, in the UV texture Editor, the UV's for the diamond face have been mapped out. If you can't see it, chances are that you projected your face on the wrong axis. Undo and try again, this time changing the Mapping Direction to a different axis. If you zoom out a bit, you should be able to see a box around your face, a green, and a red arrow. These are the manipulators you can use to modify the UV's for your face. Move these however you want to make your texture appear on your face the way you want to.

How far down the rabbit hole do you want to go? Read on if you want to get more in-depth with the UV Texture Editor. (and after you've done what I said to do above)

Ok. You have your texture just how you want it on your face....... wait a second, no you don't. Oh no! You now see a problem with your texture placement and don't know what to do! You try selecting the face in the UV Editor, but you can't move anything. You don't know how to get that manipulator box around your UV's again and are about to throw your shoe into the monitor!

Ok. This is what happened to me when I first dove into the UV Editor. Selecting the UV's for a particular face can be confusing at first, but you'll get the hang of it real quick. You can obviously right-click in the Editor and choose UV's as your component mode, but it can take forever to select all the UV's for some projections. Especially if your projection consisted of several faces. There is an easier way to select them and once you have them selected, you can then remodify their placement. Select your face, then right-click in the UV Editor and choose UV's. Select a single UV from your diamond face in the Editor, then right-click and choose Select>Select Shell. Now all the UV's for your projection (just your single face in this case) have been selected. Now you can select the move, scale, or rotate tool and modify them however you like.

More info.....
When you select a "shell" you select all the UV's for a projection. If you were to project your entire diamond object, you could select a single UV in the UV Editor, right-click and choose Select>Select Shell, and have all the UV's for your diamond object selected. Experiment with it a bit and you'll learn.

Last edited by Darkware; 09-02-2003 at 04:40 AM.
# 3 09-02-2003 , 04:48 AM
Subscriber
While I'm at it, I suppose I'll ask you what this is for? You did a nice job at modeling it. It reminds me of the crystals you have to collect in The Legend of Zelda: Ocerina of Time.

Also, mapping out UV's is (I think) only used for file textures. Once you get the hang of Maya and begin modeling objects that require file textures, you should learn about the other projection mapping techniques. Plannar mapping is basic, but there is also Cylindrical, Spherical, and Automatic mapping, which can all be useful in certain cases.

# 4 09-02-2003 , 05:07 PM
WOW - - lotta info, really appreciate it Darkware! will try it out today. as far as the model itself: my friend and i are making a website (i'm doing graphics) it's a logo from a game called Planetside. its a community site for it (i'm not quite sure about every aspect of it cuz im not planning on playing the game. newayz, i looked aroudn at other community sites for the game, and they had the logo in 3D - naturally i attempted to copy ituser added image
this is what i copied: https://www.vanusovereignty.com/
this is our website (to which a new banner will be added and new layout graphics: https://www.vanu-sovereignty.net\

again, appreciate that in depth explaination! cyaz

-Kozmo
# 5 09-02-2003 , 05:10 PM
modelling the circle was a pain in the ass - i made a cylinder (poly) added about 5 caps, and delted the inner faces. and of course all the faces on the inside get deleted so it loks like a tire...so i extruded the edges. then i had to delete some space for the diamonds. in doing that, it wasnt comforming to their shape, so i manually put some curvature into the ends by manipulating the vertices. heh - newby style modelling rox.

-Kozmo
# 6 09-02-2003 , 09:25 PM

finally finished...

-Kozmo

Last edited by Kozmonut; 09-02-2003 at 10:20 PM.
# 7 09-02-2003 , 11:06 PM
Subscriber
Hey looks nice! Also, for modeling hollow cylinders, you should look into booleans. (polygons>Boolean>difference)