Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 27-10-2012 , 02:04 PM

vray or mental ray?

are both needed for different rendering needs or is vray more powerful for all purposes?

# 2 27-10-2012 , 05:41 PM
Technical Director
It all depends on personal preference. "More powerful" is a very broad statement. Both are proven as solid production renderers, and are used along side each other in many productions. Use the strengths of each product.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 27-10-2012 , 06:36 PM
EduSciVis-er
I think to add to that, it's not really necessary to learn and use both. Either one should be able to handle whatever scene you need to render.

# 4 27-10-2012 , 07:59 PM
Super Moderator
To me, this question is leaning more towards "is x renderer worth learning?" because the "Vray vs MR" threads usually end up people attacking other people personal choices and that's what it really comes down to -- personal choice.

There are people who work easily with MR for Maya and have developed custom tools/workflows over the years and the hurdles have all but disappeared. Some people can't be bothered with lack of user friendliness in the MR implementation and they look elsewhere. Both are "powerful", I guess you just have to find your own comfort zone.

- Genny