Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 12-11-2012 , 05:51 PM

Particles collide with same object emitting from.

Hey,

I'm trying to make particles collide with the same object they are emitting from.

I have a complex 123d mesh of a hand and forearm sculpture sticking straight up out of a circular base. I'm trying to emit particles that will constantly flow down the surface of this sculpture like a liquid that is a little thicker than water. I want the particles to come from the surface of the hand and not fall down from above it b/c I want the particles to emulate a sort of constantly flowing force field over the surface.

I tried just making the mesh a passive collider, but that just makes the particles emit from the inside of the object.
I then reversed the normals with the mesh as a collider. The particles then emitted from the surface I wanted, and collided with that surface, but they were shooting out way to far, even with adjusting the speed and cranking the gravity, etc.
I even tried to fake it by copying the mesh and scaling it down just slightly and making that the collider, but b/c it is a complex shape, there are always polys from the smaller mesh sticking out when you scale it.

Does anyone know if there is a way to make this work, or a better way to fake it?

Steven

# 2 12-11-2012 , 08:04 PM
The thin red line
Sounds like you have the emmiter to close to the mesh.............dave