Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 15-11-2012 , 06:57 PM

Flickering Flame Light

Hi all,

I've searched the forum and how to create a flickering light has been answered a few times, resulting in this expression that I'm currently using...

pointLightShape1.intensity = rand(0.5,1.5);

Unfortunately, generating a new value every frame looks unnatural (and is epilepsy inducing!). So, I'm after an expression which generates the new intensity value every random number of frames (between 5 and 15, say).

I've come across expressions which will change the value every set number of frames (e.g. every 5 or 10), but this looks unnatural. So is there a way to do this?

I'm fairly new to Maya and struggling to get my head around the MEL stuff!

# 2 15-11-2012 , 09:47 PM
Technical Director

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 15-11-2012 , 10:00 PM
Thanks for the reply!

I did try using the noise function at one point. The effect was very smooth, more like a dimmer switch reducing and raising the light, not really a 'flicker' a flame would produce.

Still, thanks for the suggestion, I'll have an experiment...

# 4 16-11-2012 , 03:33 AM
Technical Director
You can try nesting noise inside of rand, or vice-versa.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.