Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 19-11-2012 , 09:51 PM

Help? Animating An Airplane

Hi, I've never used Maya animation before. For a class I'm taking, I have to animate my airplane to make it take off, fly, and land like a real airplane.
So first I will need to begin with making the propeller spin realistically on a pivot point during takeoff - gradually speeding up until it is at a constant whirlwind speed, then making the plane move accordingly. I suppose when the plane is landing the process would be reversed. I can't find any kind of tutorial on the internet that helps me with any of this

# 2 19-11-2012 , 10:06 PM
Technical Director
To do this "realistically" you would need to write a full aircraft simulator. If you've never used Maya before, it's very unlikely that you'll be able to do this without an external plugin. If your class wants you to make it realistic, when you have just started to learn the program, they're completely nuts.

Anyways, one tool that comes to mind is Craft Airplane Extended, however it's not cheap. https://www.craftanimations.com/defau...lane-extended/

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 19-11-2012 , 10:26 PM
Subscriber
you'll want to animate it along a path, there are tutorials for doing that. Most people i know who animate vehicles end up doing it like that. as for the propeller thats all just key framing the rotations. Since I'm assuming this class is a beginner class as you say you've never used Maya before, this would be the most basic way to do this type of animation.

# 4 20-11-2012 , 12:03 AM
I am hoping this is a beginning class and by "realistic" he means as realistic as one can using simple animation along a path.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675