Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 23-01-2013 , 04:48 AM

Normal baking problems with outcome

Hey guys, as you can see from my photo, i have a problem with baking normals. i sculpted a high poly mesh in zbrush, imported it as an object into maya. i then retopped it, and went to bake normals. they show, but so do the faces of the pollygons of my low-poly mesh (see attached).

What am i doing wrong? UV's look to be good & clean, theyre also attached. There are no un-sewn edges that i can see in the UV Map (is there a way to highlight/check/show unsewn edges?). But you can clearly see them (or the poly faces) being brought in the normal-bake process user added image

Any suggestions?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

# 2 23-01-2013 , 10:15 AM
The thin red line
See pic for UV borders. You can sellect the UVs in that area and merge them................dave

Attached Thumbnails

# 3 23-01-2013 , 04:48 PM
will give this a try tonight when i get home from work. . . thanks for the quick reply!!

# 4 24-01-2013 , 12:35 AM
Maya 2013 version: No merge on the quick icons toolbar, but it's in the poly's menu. See this screenshot for my UV unwraps, i have seams (as you can see form the bolded white line) but thats not the issue. . . each UV/polygon is reflecting somehow and the normal is being picked up from it.

Here's my process i do:
create a base mesh in maya, sculpt out my detail in zbrush, export back to maya & retopology the high-poly mesh down to acceptable structure.

I then use transfermaps>normals to use the newly created low poly mesh as the target, the high poly sculpt as the source, 1024 maps with tangent mapspace & transferred in world space (see 2nd link).

i dunno wth i'm doing wrong here user added image I'm gonna ressculpt some stuff and use zbrush for all this instead of transferring back/forth between the 2, though i dont see why it's f'd up. Poly faces shouldnt cast out on a normals bake. . . . not that i'm aware of (at least the targetted mesh)

UV's:

TransferMaps settings:

# 5 24-01-2013 , 08:20 AM
The thin red line
You should be creating your normals in zbush and using goz (I think thats what its called). The work flow should be some thing like this

1:Create mesh in maya (check normal)
2:Create UVs in maya (better then using zbrush UV master)
3:Export to zbrush
4:Subdivide as meny times as you need in z and model (do not delete subdivion history)
5.Drop down to subd 1 then create normal or misplacement map
6:Goz back to maya
...................dave

# 6 24-01-2013 , 06:32 PM
Dave,

ultimately thats what i was doing, however i was using UVMaster plugin in zbrush to snap out my UV's (it's VERY fast the way UVing should be. . . maya is way to combersome/slow)

i got things figured out. . . i have no idea what was wrong in the first place, but starting over & doing 90% of my work in zbrush ultimately fixed things!

# 7 25-01-2013 , 08:44 AM
Lifetime Member
I have always had trouble with Maya bake normals. You are better off using Xnormals mate.

Cheers Ant

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes