Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 28-01-2013 , 09:30 PM

Big Problem (not clipping?)

Hey Guys!

I've got a big Problem with Autodesk Maya.
I have a .stl File (3D-Scan), i've converted this File into a .obj (in another Program).
But when i import the .obj File into Maya, i can't see it.
If i press "F" i can see the object for a second, but then it disappears.
I don't think it's a Clipping Problem, because i've set Near Clipping to 0.1 and Far Clipping to 99999.
I hope someone of you can help me.

# 2 28-01-2013 , 10:06 PM
does it appear in the outliner?

If so then try applying a shader to it. Other then that all I can say is although alias/wavefront created obj and they also created maya. I find maya to be one of the worst applications to import objs from other apps into.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 3 28-01-2013 , 10:20 PM

does it appear in the outliner?

If so then try applying a shader to it. Other then that all I can say is although alias/wavefront created obj and they also created maya. I find maya to be one of the worst applications to import objs from other apps into.

The Object is visible in the Outliner.
If I select it, and press "F" for focus, i can see the Wireframe for a second, but then it disappears.
I've converted the .stl into .obj in a Program called "MeshLab".
In MeshLab, the .stl and the .obj are visible.
Thats not my First Time, working with this workflow, but it's the first time I have to deal with this problem.
I don't think tha, assigning an Object will fix this Problem, because I am able to see the Object in other Programs, and as far as i know, there's only the Wireframe visible if there's no Material assigned to the Object.
I am going to check this tomorrow at work, but i'm not very confident that this would fix the Problem.

Regards ZueB

# 4 28-01-2013 , 10:26 PM
The thin red line
The first thing I thought of is what ctbram said if that does not work upload the file and we will have a look...................dave

# 5 28-01-2013 , 11:54 PM
Sometimes the shader material gets dropped. In the past the model would show up a olive green but the last couple versions the faces are just invisible.

Try adding a lambert material to everything. If that still does not fix it upload a copy of the file as Dave suggested.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 6 28-01-2013 , 11:56 PM
Subscriber
That does sound like a clipping problem to me - the obj sounds to me as if its massive compared to your maya settings. Open the outliner and select the object and scale it down (something like 0.05 in all 3 scales) or add another two 99 to your far clipping plain (9999999).

I have had the same problems from OBJ`s from max being imported. The obj is working or you would not see the wireframe flash.

# 7 29-01-2013 , 10:41 AM
Thanks for the help, Tweetys solution fixed my Problem user added image
I've changed the Scale to 0.01, und Far Clipping to the max. Amount and now I can work wit the Object.
Thanks

# 8 29-01-2013 , 12:21 PM
Subscriber
Just glad U got it sorted - don't forget to freeze the transforms as I find problems happen if you dont in objects reduced in size that much.

# 9 29-01-2013 , 04:44 PM
Good call Tweety. It's also worth noting that maya scale is different to many other apps - at least, 1m in either modo, lightwave or houdini is equal to 100m in maya. So if you're coming from either of those (or others I'm sure you'll want to scale by 0.01.

# 10 29-01-2013 , 05:19 PM
Good call tweety. I'll make a note of this one. I have a friend that I recall had a similar problem going LW to Maya.