Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 17-02-2013 , 02:49 AM
Lifetime Member

Re: The dark art of mental ray

First off, let me say, this is by far the best tut on lighting I have viewed here to date,
and I've watched almost all of them user added image
Just viewed the 1st 2 videos from the set, and those alone explained quite a few issues I've been having,
am just gonna have to watch them 10-12 more times each, and take some notes, to remember most of it.
When people commented on latest WIP and suggested linear workflow, I never really understood what they meant, now I have a better idea, and it all starts to make some sense.
OK OK, I'm a bit thick headed at times, so ya don't have to rub it in user added image

Keep in mind, all the questions I have are meant for still images, and everything I do is strictly personal
there are no animations, or skills needed for job hunting/production house type quality.
but, I want my images to look as good as possible too.

1. To what extreme is the difference between applying the simple exposure, and the photographic exposure ?

2. When doing the AO thru render layers, does it pretty much give you what could be done by doing separate renders and applying in Photoshop?
(I realize in Photoshop there are additional minute adjustments that can be made, but is quality of doing it strictly within Maya gonna be pretty much the same ?)

I'll have more questions in future, but am going to review the 1st 2 vids and take notes before moving on .....

kudos to the person making this tut user added image
it'll definitely help me with my bedroom scene and the lighting/rendering that has bothered me the most

I'm not lazy, I'm just resting before I get tired
# 2 17-02-2013 , 12:29 PM
SM Tea Boy
Thanks glad you liked the tutorial to answer your questions

1, there is no huge difference between the two the exposure photographic gives you slightly more control. That said i really only use an exposure node to get the right gamma in the rendered image i prefer personally to do the tweaks in post

2 Yes it's the same keep watching for the correct way to apply AO it's more of a pain to do it correctly than you might think.

Anything else just ask
all the best
Dave

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"