Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 26-02-2013 , 02:31 AM

High Polygon Modelling Slowing Computer

Hello all,

I am currently modelling a ginger bread house and the icing is requiring quite a lot of faces, edges, vertexes etc. which is really slowing down my computer. I remember reading once that there was a way to model with a high polygon count while looking at it in lower resolution or having some low polygon model or something over the models that helps it so you can still model without the computer crashing, but I cannot remember how to do this or what it was. If anyone has any tips (or knows what I am talking about above) on how to model with a high polygon count let me know. Thanks.

# 2 26-02-2013 , 04:48 AM
Super Moderator
Are you using display layers? Also you can use render time subdivision, so you can model low poly and it smoothes when you render.

- Genny
# 3 26-02-2013 , 05:35 AM
All of my objects are in separate layers so when I am working on the frosting, it is the only thing shown. I don't have much experience with subdiv modelling, but will I still be able to sculpt as a please to get all the creases and drips in the icing with a subdiv model? I was under the impression they were closer to nurbs modelling than polygon modelling?

# 4 26-02-2013 , 06:35 PM
The thin red line
Could you show us your mesh with wires................dave

# 5 26-02-2013 , 07:49 PM
Sure. I believe I just uploaded it as an attachment.

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 26-02-2013 , 08:11 PM
The thin red line
Could be a build up of history or it could be you graphics card as that is not a lot of mesh .................dave

Edit:You are not press the "3" button as well

Last edited by daverave; 26-02-2013 at 08:15 PM.
# 7 26-02-2013 , 09:10 PM
Yeah I realized that after I print screened it, oh well. I will try and delete my history. My graphics card is Intel HD Graphics Family with 1696 MB of total memory...is that good or bad? Thanks for the help BTW.

# 8 26-02-2013 , 09:26 PM
Super Moderator
Well that is the problem, you're using integrated graphics instead of a dedicated graphics card. That's generally a bad idea when working with 3D or even heavy gaming.

- Genny
# 9 26-02-2013 , 10:46 PM
I'll keep that in mind next time I buy a computer (I'll have to double check on whether or not my graphics card can be changed in my laptop or not). For now deleting the history worked perfectly, and its back to its normal speed, allowing me to add more edges as a please. Thanks for the help.

# 10 27-02-2013 , 03:55 AM
Technical Director
You actually don't need all that geometry. Once you get it to a level of detail that you like, you can run it through a poly-reducer, and get a much more efficient mesh, without sacrificing details. For example, if you open your high poly object in Meshlab (free software), and follow this tutorial: https://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/p...n_with_meshlab you'll get a much more efficient mesh out. It even works on UVs; weeeee!

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Last edited by NextDesign; 27-02-2013 at 03:58 AM.