Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 13-05-2013 , 05:13 AM

Will I ever get to use Maya?

I'm rather discouraged.

I saved a long time to buy Maya, Full Retail version 6 (I don't earn much. I'm in a small town where having even a minimum wage job is considered "lucky").

I also saved a long time to upgrade to a Quadcore G5 v 10.5.8 4 GB RAM and had to sell my old computer to help pay for the G5.

So after lusting for Maya for years, I still can't run it because Maya 6 isn't compatible with my G5.

I've been trying to find an upgrade path (and info on compatibility) to something that works on my computer. I've had no luck finding a software path to something that will run on my G5. I'm not even sure which version is best—info on old versions isn't terribly clear.

So, what is the best version of Maya to run on a G5 and is there anywhere on the planet where it's possible to buy it or to get an upgrade version rather than buying full retail all over again?

No way I can afford current versions, nor even to switch to Intel Mac (I have thousands of dollars worth of "hard won" software on my computer and I can't afford to upgrade to Intel versions for everything).

Help!

# 2 13-05-2013 , 10:14 AM
If you are a student you can get a free fully working version of the latest maya and other autodesk apps.

They also used to offer the autodesk assistance program where you could download software if you were unemployed. I am not sure if they still offer this program though.

You can find details of both programs on the autodesk.com website. For the educational software look undo community>education and learning. For the assistance program google autodesk assistance program.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 3 13-05-2013 , 04:00 PM
Technical Director
Maya 2008 was the last version to support the PowerPC architecture, so Maya 6 will work. What exactly are you having issues with?

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Last edited by NextDesign; 13-05-2013 at 04:04 PM.