Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 04-04-2013 , 09:37 PM

Maya Rendering Default Lighting

Hello!

I'm currently working on a project and i need to render some scene animation in maya using the same lighting it shows on my viewport (on my Lighting menu it's on "Use Default Lighting"). But when i render it, it won't come up as the viewport. I suppose it's because there are other lights on scene, such as a point light, and since it's on it won't render with the default.

It's like...my first time opening maya so... i'm completly blank in turning on/off lights and working my way around. I'm only used to 3ds max.

I was wondering if you could help me in this matter.

Sorry for any trouble,
Thanks,
Diana

# 2 04-04-2013 , 11:40 PM
Super Moderator
Easy way is to delete the light, another way is to hide the light on a layer(if you need it for whatever else reason) and create a directional light that you parent to the camera, you just have to get the direction of the light to look appropriate, which by default seems to come from the top left.

- Genny
# 3 05-04-2013 , 10:04 AM
I'm used to 3ds max, having a light lister to select all lights from the scene and making my way around things.

In maya i don't know how to see which lights i have on scene and where to find the option to hide them or turn on/off.

I tried the playblast and it works super! The problem now it's the quality of the animation.

How can i see the lights i have and render with the default light making it alike my viewport, hiding lights and such? Where do i go?

I think at some point i managed to delete 3 point lights but when i render with the default light unchecked in render options, it should be all black and it isn't. Some objects still show and the rest are black.

Is there a way to find out all lights and delete all and then render with default light?

Thanks alot!

# 4 05-04-2013 , 10:55 AM
The thin red line
Go to and select windows/outliner, with the outliner up go to show/objects then select lights. To get back to normal outliner view just go to show all.................dave

Edit: also you can go to the hypershade and select the light tab, if you want to keep all the light but just turn them off select all the light and go to windows/general/attribute spread sheet and turn the light intensity to "0" there

Last edited by daverave; 05-04-2013 at 11:05 AM.
# 5 05-04-2013 , 11:34 AM
Thank you so much daverave! That was exactly what i couldn't do user added image