Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 19-04-2013 , 02:22 PM

ALL Render Settings gone

All my Render Settings have disappeared. The windows are blank. I'm running Maya 2014 on a Mac. 2012 and 2013 are fine. Tried reloading a 2014 and Mental Ray fresh but no luck. This is the error i'm getting ...

]// Error: file: /Users/mtcgs/Library/Preferences/Autodesk/maya/2014-x64/prefs/scripts/mentalrayUI.mel line 634: Error evaluating argument at position 1 in procedure "miDebug".

Also tried a bit of code I found online for this problem by folks who've experienced it on previous versions ...

deleteUI unifiedRenderGlobalsWindow;
buildNewSceneUI;

But no luck there either.

# 2 19-04-2013 , 09:19 PM
The thin red line

# 3 20-04-2013 , 09:01 PM
^^Good job daverave. user added image

mtcgs: A simple, yet effective way to solve most issues/bugs in Maya is to delete the prefs folder in the main directory. It looks like Maya isn't seeing any UI elements so something may have corrupted along the way.

To delete the prefs folder, go to C:/Users/ [Your User Name]/My Documents/Maya/[version #]

Inside there is a folder called prefs. Select it and delete it, then restart Maya. It should ask if you want to copy old preferences or create new ones. Create new ones. Maya will create a new prefs folder with default settings for everything.

Of course, if you have any custom shelves or icons or whatever, you'll need to back them up first before deleting the prefs folder. Simply copy the prefs folder to another location. Then, after doing the above delete, replace whatever you had customized by copying the appropriate folders from the original prefs folder over to the new one after restarting Maya.

Give it a try, let is know if that worked.

user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu