Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 10-05-2013 , 05:29 PM

what type of texturing is this

Hi,

I'm new in 3d CG art. I like to know what is this texturing technique applied on the boy's body? Is this texturing/shading or painting?

If shading? what shading type is that?

user added image

# 2 10-05-2013 , 05:49 PM
EduSciVis-er
It's all of those. The terminology depends on the software you use so it can get very confusing. In maya, the shader defines the surface properties, ie how it responds to light. Is it shiny, reflective, does it allow light to bounce through it? The texturing defines the color or other attributes over the surface, like the freckles on this person. That is usually done by painting a 2D image that gets mapped onto the 3D surface. But you can also make procedural textures that use computer generated patterns for example. Hope that helps. Someone else chime in if I'm way off base.

# 3 10-05-2013 , 07:50 PM
Super Moderator
For the first question, you'd have to ask the artist how they did it because:

- most packages allow you to paint directly on surfaces (some far more sophisticated and specialized than others)

or

-the artist could have taken a UV snapshot (which is a flattened 2D representation of the model) into a digital paint program (Photoshop, Painter, Gimp etc) to use as a guide for painting/assembling textures.

And as Stwert mentioned, textures can be procedural. Maya provides many nodes from which you can create complex networks to shade and texture.

How you acquire textures is can vary but if you are using textures they just need to be plugged into desired attribute (color, reflectivity, transparency etc) of the shader (or material, same thing) being used by the model.

- Genny
# 4 17-05-2013 , 03:09 PM
Yup, this aspect of the 3D world can get technical in a hurry. To reiterate Stwert, the Shader is the basis of how lights in the scene will affect the surface (e.g. Subsurface Scattering shaders which allow surfaces to be slightly translucent or chrome shaders that reflect the environment, etc.). The artist then has the option to apply textures (often 2D) and other materials to that surface. This part can be done by hand in either a 2D package (Photoshop, Painter, GIMP) or 3D package (ZBrush, Mudbox, Mari, Deep Paint, Maya, Max. etc.) and even supplemented with something like Quixel's dDo. This process also requires a dubious step called "UV layout" and an understanding of light in general.

Gen is quite correct in that this is something the artist of a given piece would best explain. This is because there are dozens of approaches (even cheats) on how to achieve a particular look, but the basics are usually the same: The geo needs something to tell the rendering process how it reacts to light (i.e. Shader) and the optional patterns over its surface are often controlled by either a texture or material or a combination of those and possibly more. It ties in rapidly with the lighting and the rendering process which is another gnarly ball of technical wax.

Anyway, it's obviously one of the more technical aspects of this amazing art form, which might explain why so many 3D forums are littered with raw sculpts and bare models than textured ones. I believe the UV layout process is a huge hurdle for most artists, so 'surfacing' remains that elusive (possibly irritating) next step for many of us. More often than not though--the ends justify the means--so it's well worth learning this stuff until progress trumps these impediments. user added image