Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 31-12-2012 , 04:11 AM

rotate an Image Plane

Hi guys,
i was watching a Tutorial on youtube, where the uploader can rotate the Image Plane with inputs of the Channel Box / Layer Editor. If i set an Image Plane i do not have these options. How did he get them?

Thanks for your help guys!
greetings

# 2 31-12-2012 , 01:22 PM
In that case he has probably applied the reference image to a poly plane and he is just transforming the plane.

If you apply a reference image to a camera you can only adjust it's scale and position but not rotation.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 3 31-12-2012 , 05:01 PM

# 4 31-12-2012 , 06:10 PM
Lifetime Member
Had a quick look. He "rotates" the image plane by rotating the top camera.

Earth: The crazy asylum of the universe.
# 5 31-12-2012 , 06:23 PM
yeah he is not rotating the image plane shape. He is rotating the top camera shape itself.

One thing I cannot duplicate is that when he is selecting the camera the imagePlane node is showing up as an input. On my system I do not get the Input node for the imagePlane. I get inputs for other objects but not for the cameras.

So I do not know what he is doing to make that node appear. However, Maya has been borked for me since version 2010 so for all I know this is just another symptom specific to my system(s).

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 6 31-12-2012 , 06:29 PM
I have the same issue, i dont get the Inputs. I have Maya 2013.
Now i see the Problem but i do not know how i can fix that.

# 7 31-12-2012 , 06:43 PM
There are a couple ways to get to the image plane node. The easiest is to open the outliner and under display check the shapes box. Then select the camera and under the camera you will find the image plane and image plane shape nodes.

But it's a bit more convoluted then simply having the image plane input node show up in the channel box.

I am also using 2013.

Well I checked this on another system that still has 2012 on it and the input for the camera node shows up.

So this currently looks like a new 2013 behavior where the input node for the camera does not appear in the channel box.

I rarely use image planes so I never noticed it until now.

Maybe someone else knows if there is a secret handshake in maya 2013 to turn this back on.

Last edited by ctbram; 31-12-2012 at 06:48 PM.
# 8 31-12-2012 , 06:51 PM
I am kind of sick to death of filing bugs to autodesk and posting in TheArea where you either get no response or a series of smart ass remarks. So I'll let you track this one to ground lol.

# 9 31-12-2012 , 06:59 PM
Lifetime Member
I'm still on 2011 and the channel box shows the image plane under inputs.

Earth: The crazy asylum of the universe.
# 10 31-12-2012 , 11:49 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Okay heres a little nugget....

If you want to rotate an image plane, simply create a new perspective camera and attach a new image plane to it. Its not unheard of, I use them for character modelling, I think you'll find it to be more reliable than an ortho camera anyway, as theres always going to be perspective in our own field of view as well as an actual camera

Jay

# 11 14-06-2013 , 07:11 AM
change the image attribute and then adjust the camera. in this way ,you will be able to rotate image plane c#. you must make sure you are in single plane.

# 12 14-08-2013 , 03:11 AM
Banned

change the image attribute and then adjust the camera. in this way ,you will be able to rotate image plane c#. you must make sure you are in single plane.

thanks for sharing, that's exactly what iam looking for!