Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 18-06-2012 , 03:30 PM
Subscriber

Surfin' tutorial Zbrush Dragrect question

Hey Guys,

in the second lesson of the ZBrush section of the SWTA tut (I'm loving it thanks!) the tutor places veins on the models forearm with the dragrect tool. I've noticed that the dragrect tool kind of duplicates what you draw on the opposite side, in negative. Is there a way to switch this off? I've found that if you don't scale the veins to big it does not do the duplicate, but I want some big veins!

Thanks in advance,

Jan

# 2 19-06-2012 , 01:08 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
depending on your axis, in this case it should be X, just hit the X key on your keyboard to turn it off.

Information like this can be found at www.zbrushcentral.com where you can find most answers and beginner tutes for zbrush

J

# 3 19-06-2012 , 01:43 PM
Subscriber
Thanks Jay for your reply! I'm afraid the x-key has nothing to do with it.

These images hopefully show the problem.

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 27-06-2012 , 11:07 AM
can you enlighten me, dont just say thanks and tell me that wasnt what you were looking for -i wont be any the wiser for it.
Jay

# 5 27-06-2012 , 11:51 AM

# 6 27-06-2012 , 01:13 PM
or make sure normals are working correctly on the base mesh

Jay

# 7 28-06-2012 , 11:44 AM
Lifetime Member
Im with Jay, normals must be reversed.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 8 28-06-2012 , 06:49 PM
Maybe it is normals then. Certainly though, if you sculpted one side of a cylindrical mesh without having backface masking on, it will sculpt the other side too depending on the brush intensity.

Last edited by gubar; 28-06-2012 at 06:54 PM.
# 9 01-07-2012 , 11:28 PM
Subscriber
Hey Guys,

Thanks for your replies.
@Jay: I attached two images in the message where I thanked you that showed the problem much more clear. Maybe I did something wrong? Im new to the forum user added image

Im gonna attach two new ones in this one. Please tell me if you can see them.

The first screenshot shows the dragrect used to make a (ridiculously) large vein on the front of the forearm.
The second one shows the same vein but pushed inside (as if you're using zsub) the model on the backside of his forearm.
The problem is that the vein in the second screenshot appeared by creating the one in the first.

Backface masking did not fix the problem, sadly.

Thanks again.

Jan

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 01-07-2012 , 11:43 PM
As I said before, check your surface/face normals in maya first, see if one side is flipped, and also check your symmetry is off.

Jay

# 11 18-07-2013 , 11:20 PM
Lifetime Member
Hi all, I had exactly the same problem and 'backface masking' (brush>auto masking>backface mask) sorted it out fine.

Cheers the Yeti