Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 05-07-2013 , 09:53 AM
Lifetime Member

Alien Character

Hi All,

I've spent the last five days working on the surfing alien tutorial that Jay did. Love it Jay!!!user added image

I've pretty much finished the alien (minus stitching him together) and will start working on his clothing and surfboard next week. Then it's on to the UV editor!

As always, comments and suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 05-07-2013 , 11:15 PM
The thin red line
Look good to me..............dave

# 3 06-07-2013 , 03:13 AM
Lifetime Member
Wow looks good mate! good luck with the rest

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 4 08-07-2013 , 03:44 AM
Lifetime Member
Thanks for the comments guys.I've just finished the clothes for the alien (minus jewellery). It went a lot quicker than I thought it would. Here's a pic.

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 08-07-2013 , 01:57 PM
Location: Room 801, Building A, Ying Da Li Tech Digital Park, Fu Tian free trade zone, Shenzhen, China
Looking good to me too!

# 6 10-07-2013 , 09:32 PM
Lifetime Member
Busy working through the UVing of my model so not much to show at the moment will give an update when that's complete (probably).

# 7 11-07-2013 , 12:49 AM
Subscriber
Looks good bud.

Sampson
# 8 11-07-2013 , 06:35 AM
Lifetime Member
All right! Finished the UVs for the alien and clothing. Couple of areas that are a little bit out, but overall I'm pretty happy with it. Great video series. I'd recommend it to anyone with a moderate understanding of Maya. Thanks Jay!

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 23-07-2013 , 01:11 AM
Lifetime Member
OK I've just got zbrush installed on my machine so I've spent the last two days detailing my alien.user added image It's an amazing program. The level of detail you can put in is crazy. Still got the clothing to go, then I'll begin painting and texturing.

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 23-07-2013 , 10:41 PM
Lifetime Member
Finished the clothing and painting. Let me know what you think.user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 11 24-07-2013 , 12:48 PM
The thin red line
Looking good to me you might want to turn the spec down a little or do a spec map................dave

# 12 25-07-2013 , 02:56 AM
Lifetime Member
H is looking damn....ALIEN LOL well done so far mate.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 13 26-07-2013 , 12:22 AM
Subscriber
Looks really good... a bit shiny maybe. How do u like zbrush? Is it your first time using it? I thought about getting it as well. Seems like a lot of people r using it.

Sampson
# 14 26-07-2013 , 01:34 AM
Lifetime Member
Hi Sampson, Yeah I agree about him being a bit shiny. Just the material I assigned whilst working in zbrush.

And yeah, it is my first time using it. As for how I like it...

For modeling from scratch, not very much. I much rather prefer moving verts, edges and faces, whereas in zbrush it's like sculpting in clay with the mouse as your tool to poke and push etc. (I was never very good at sculpting anyway).

For detailing an imported model from Maya, I LOVE it. You can get so much detail into a model right down to scratches on their fingernails, skin pores, veins etc.
Also painting in 3D space is AWESOME! Way easier than trying to make all the colours line up on the seams of a UV snapshot in Photoshop.

So whilst I still prefer Maya's interface and move controls (Alt left, middle or right mouse click) as opposed to zbrushes move controls (mouse click to rotate, Alt mouse click to pan and Alt mouse click release Alt to zoom) I still feel that it's worth the extra features that it brings to a modeler/texturer artist.

# 15 26-07-2013 , 01:42 AM
Lifetime Member
Ok, I'm on to putting it all together for rendering in Maya but I've run into a slight problem.

As you can see from my render (top left corner) it's not working quite as it should.

I've traced the problem all the way back to my environment sphere and found that I have a strange little picture saying that I've got a light shape on my surface shader (see red circle). Now when Jay shows it set up in his video that's not there.

Problem is I don't know how I got it in the first place and I can't seem to get rid of it.

Any suggestions?user added image

Attached Thumbnails