Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 02-08-2013 , 05:21 AM
Lifetime Member

Surfing Alien - Renderering Problem

Hi all, for those of you who haven't seen my alien work in progress problem I'm posting it here to see if anyone can help.user added image

I've reached the part of putting it all together for rendering in Maya but I've run into a problem.

As you can see from my render (Pic 1 top left corner) it's not working quite as it should.

So, some details... this is how Jay has set up his scene.

1. A large polysphere with an env material assigned. Type: Surface Shader. Then the colour has been mapped to a HDR image.

2. A directional light with Ray Tracing shadows enabled.

3. A spot light for a little bit of backlighting.

I've tried to do exactly as Jay did but it's not working the same way. When I create it using an env sphere I get a strange little picture saying that I've got a light shape on my surface shader (see red circle).user added image Now when Jay shows it set up in his video that's not there.

Also my spot light is missing the little picture saying that I've got a light shape on it.user added image (See pic 2)

It's like they've switched places and I haven't got the faintest idea why.

If anyone has done these video series and had the rendering work for them I'd love to know how they set it up. I'm not really a rendering genius as you've probably worked out by now so I need all the help I can get.user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by MrYeti; 02-08-2013 at 05:26 AM.
# 2 03-08-2013 , 11:35 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
have you turned off cast shadows for the sphere?

# 3 04-08-2013 , 11:16 PM
Lifetime Member
Thank you, thank you, thank you! So simple yet it was driving me nuts.

I'll move on to rendering it all out and post my results in my work in progress post.

Great series. Thanks.

# 4 05-08-2013 , 03:28 AM
Lifetime Member
Got another question. I've done modelling in zbrush and changed my character quite drastically. How do these changes get back to my character in maya? Do I have to somehow be reimporting this into maya to do my rendering on?

# 5 09-08-2013 , 01:30 AM
Lifetime Member
Hmmm, tricky question. Anyone have any ideas how to do this?

I'm starting to think that I need to use the plugin GoZ, does this sound right?

Cheers the Yeti