Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 24-11-2014 , 09:36 PM

Warhammer 40k Rhino

Whenever I get bored of the Zoidzilla model I'm doing, I've been doing a bit of this model. I picked it because it's a nice blocky shape so it's easy. Next Imma do the APC from Aliens. After that, I'm going to do a brick.

The tracks don't actually work. They don't even go all the way around
[IMG]user added image[/IMG]

Side view. A nice big flat surface to facilitate easy penetration for enhanced blow-apart.

Changing some details from the model to more realistic stuff. The original steps looked slippery and dangerous to climb in the wet. Even in war, people sometimes get hurt!

Exhaust caps to keep the rain out. Missing from the model.

This thing can lift up and turn little windows into slightly larger windows for enemies who have trouble shooting in through the little ones.

The lights are fastened with allen bolts because enemies carrying allen keys are far more rare than those with screwdrivers.

The whole top opens to facilitate easy occupant-slaughter.

The back will also open in case the occupants start to feel too secure.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by xgabrielx; 11-03-2015 at 10:35 PM.
# 2 24-11-2014 , 10:27 PM
The thin red line
Looking good, I like the suspension on the rhino there is none........LOL..........dave

# 3 24-11-2014 , 11:17 PM

Looking good, I like the suspension on the rhino there is none........LOL..........dave

It doesn't matter. As soon as you get off road, you are killed by all the bullets coming in through the open windows. I'm thinking of putting an extra door in the bottom just so every panel has a hole in it. Warhammer 40k stuff is like what a rampant rabbit would be like if it were designed by a gay bishop.

# 4 25-11-2014 , 10:01 PM
Just did a few detail bits and pieces today. I get bored easily.

It's supposed to be a military vehicle, so...this metal grill oughtta keep the bullets out.

Yet another hatch.

I seem to remember the old versions of this model gave you a choice between these antenna, or what looked like a few items from a picnic. I don't know why you'd put a picnic on the roof of something like this, so I went with the antennas.

I don't know how the hatch on the model opens. Mine has hinges as I have limited access to magic.

The door now opens. Gonna have to remember the health and safety stickers when I texture.

Apparently, the designers thought it was normal for the wheels to be on the inside of the vehicle. Gonna have to fix that somehow.

# 5 25-11-2014 , 11:21 PM
The thin red line
Looking good xgabrielx , yes the warhammer guys never thought of the practicality of these thing like where is the engine or why the hell do I need to get out of this thing can't I shoot from inside................dave

# 6 26-11-2014 , 01:39 AM
Yeah, and where do the tracks go. Cus there's no room above the door.Plus, the only seating arrangement that makes any sense is a double-sided bench going down the middle, leaving almost no room for equipment or to treat the wounded. You might fit 6 guys in there once the drivers seat is in. I guess the engine could be under the seat up the middle, and I can move some wheels around and lower the top of the door to make room for the tracks

# 7 27-11-2014 , 04:47 AM
Okay, so I shrunk the wheel that was protruding into the vehicle. I could have removed it, and still might.

Made the big hatch at the back. As it there weren't enough ways in already.

Guess I'll have to do the interior now.

Made these exhaust covers. I don't remember them being on the model, but they are on all the pics I've found. I guess they were added later, or were an option. I think I prefer the look of the exhausts without them. But they keep bullets out of the exhaust I guess. The last thing you'd want is for the thing to sound noisy.

# 8 30-12-2014 , 09:13 PM
Just downloaded 2 textures to throw on and get a better idea of how it's looking. I think it will be fine when I texture it properly. I want to add more detail like rivets, random eyelets and lifting eyes, and maybe a roll of camo netting strapped down on the roof. Maybe some shovels. The kind of junk you can store on the outside of the vehicle. Ain't nobody ever complained that their shovel got blown up!

# 9 30-12-2014 , 10:37 PM
The thin red line
Glad to see you are carrying on, will there be any space marines .................dave

# 10 31-12-2014 , 02:44 PM
Nah. Too many curved bits! lol. I only have this model and the Zoidzilla model on the go right now. I stopped for a while to do a series of trippy animations to learn a bit about dynamics, but mostly, 'tis not the season for sitting at the computer.
Making the UV maps on this took longer than the model did. I have a feeling that if I'd uv mapped BEFORE I beveled, that the beveling probably wouldn't have messed up the map, and I'd have saved hours.

# 11 01-01-2015 , 12:57 PM
SM Tea Boy
@xgabrielx check out headus uv, for stuff like this it's really quick.

dave user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 12 10-02-2015 , 08:21 PM

@xgabrielx check out headus uv, for stuff like this it's really quick.

dave user added image

I used it. I have the UV maps done. I just need the time and inclination to do the texturing. It's the zoidzilla model I've been working on that's going to be a real pain to texture. If I ever get it finished

# 13 11-03-2015 , 10:24 PM

Added the lifting eyes and a few small details so I decided to do a quick render before I start on all the little details and maybe one day get around to texturing. For some reason I can't attach a new thumbnail to the thread. I tried editing the first post, and the manage attachment windows opened, but it closed itself at some point while I was in Photoshop, reducing the file size of this image, and it won't open again.

Last edited by xgabrielx; 11-03-2015 at 10:26 PM.