Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 28-11-2013 , 07:43 PM
EduSciVis-er

Maya python broken

I had Maya and a plugin I use working fine, until I think what happened was I was configuring python for use with my computer in general, from the command prompt. So I added a PYTHONPATH environment variable and such.
Then when I tried to use Maya again, I got a couple error messages including something like:
Code:
DLL load failed: %1 is not a valid Win32 application
I did a bit of research and remembered that it might be because I had a 32-bit version of python installed, when I have a 64-bit OS and maya install. So I installed a 64-bit version of python (2.7).

Then I can't remember the actual sequence, but I was still having issues, so I followed this guide:
https://acaciaecho.wordpress.com/2011...on-inside-maya
to point Maya to the python install?

Now I get an actual error popup when I open Maya:
Code:
 Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library: Runtime Error! Program: blahblah\maya.exe
R6034 An application has made an attempt to load the C runtime library incorrectly.
And this:
Code:
Error: line 1: ImportError: file C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\maya\app\general\CommandPort.py line 15: DLL load failed: A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed.
And I don't really know what's what anymore.

# 2 29-11-2013 , 02:34 PM
EduSciVis-er
Okay, I fixed my Maya and C4D problems by just deleting the PYTHONHOME and PYTHONPATH env variables I had created. Funnily enough, I can still use python in the command prompt and it knows where my scripts folder is. Not sure how, maybe the path env var got internalized somehow so I don't need it explicitly defined. This stuff is so over my head.

# 3 29-11-2013 , 09:13 PM
Technical Director
Maya has it's own internal python installation, mayapy.exe, so it wouldn't matter if you external version was 32-bit or not.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 4 29-11-2013 , 09:19 PM
EduSciVis-er
Thanks ND, this is what I'm learning, and I think defining the env var path caused Maya to look at the wrong directory for its python.