Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 03-01-2014 , 08:28 PM

Maya UV Build

If i had a 3D model with symmetrical build, and lets say i create the UV's for the left hand or left foot. Could i use the same UV's in order to create the actual textures??? or do i need to have for both hands/feet 2 different yet similar UV's???

# 2 04-01-2014 , 12:16 AM
No matter what you do you will have UV's for the opposite side. All UV's really are are a flattened version of you mesh in the vertical and horizontal axis. The "W" somewhat associated with it is the world origin it is located at when the map is created and flattened in the space. You can duplicate and scale in the negative and have overlapping UV's and then use the same texture space for both sides. Mind you that it will be completely symmetrical in texture and not look real. Depending on the quality of realism that you are trying to hold.