Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 29-12-2013 , 08:29 PM

Need workflow advice - Rigging.

Hi,
Currently trying to learn Maya through projects/tutorials and now after having finished a model and laying out the UVs, got stuck at the skinning stage of rigging. While modelling I thought I'd do myself a favour by setting aside quick selection sets of the parts of the body so that I could recall them back after setting out the joint/skeleton system but I'm getting 'No deformable objects selected' error after trying to combine the faces and the relevant joints and hit skin. I'm aware of the fact that deformers only work on shape nodes and not on transform nodes. Also, I have tried importing a low polly body mesh out of Z-brush to Maya so to practice rigging but it comes in a default shape group. I can only think of selecting faces/vertices and grouping them in order to create hierarchies but when I try to do that I get a 'Not enough objects or values' error..
Obviously I'm doing something wrong here with all this and I'm sure you knowledgable and helpful folk out here could shed some light to this poor man's problems user added image
Appreciate any good practice workflows/tips as always.

Cheers.

# 2 30-12-2013 , 03:08 AM
Make sure you are in object mode and have deleted the history prior to skinning. This will clear out any junk that you have from modifying the shape. Then skin to hierarchy or selected bones.

# 3 30-12-2013 , 03:00 PM
Negative. Already have gone through the usual suspects checklist but although I choose the faces and the joint in the outliner, then try smooth bind with 'only selected joints' ticked, still can't seem to pass the 'No deformable objects selected' error. Oh, well..
Thanks for your input as always, though.

# 4 02-01-2014 , 03:39 AM
Are you able to attach your console log. Make sure echo commands is checked to raise verbosity. Also screen caps of your mesh and skeleton with hierarchy. Bind settings and such. Or just post the scene file for us to fix...

# 5 02-01-2014 , 04:56 PM
Events Team at Wargaming.net
Sounds like your problem is your selecting specific faces and not the whole mesh. You will be able to adjust the areas a joint effect when painting weights, try just selecting the mesh and root joint then skin it.

I dont have much rigging experience, so if someone else can chime in, that would be great.

# 6 08-01-2014 , 09:08 AM
Hi, apologies for not getting back earlier, I was away from the computer.
Many thanks for both of your input, even though I'm not going to ask you to spend any of your valuable time
fixing things, please find attached the scene for you to have a quick look and maybe point out immediately what's wrong. (most probably the whole lot as this is my first finished model in Maya)
Although the outliner is a complete mess, I do have quick selection sets consisting of faces of which I had thought would be quicker to assign joints to. But whatever I choose to do, be it grouping faces or trying to skin all I seem to get is errors.
Maybe you can point out what's going on.
Thanks again for your help.

Attached Files
File Type: zip IronMan_UV_new2.mb.zip (483.1 KB, 272 views)