Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 23-07-2014 , 07:37 AM

Rock cliff / Model too heavy

Hello,

I'm creating a rock cliff running alongside a long desert road. The wall is built out of small detailed stone blocks put together.

You can imagine how heavy my project is with just one piece of the wall but it gets worse: I need to be able to duplicate it at least 50 times to cover the whole road going into the horizon.

Is there a practical way to go about this?

Thanks
Jeremy

# 2 23-07-2014 , 06:04 PM
The thin red line
Use a displacement map created from the mesh you have already created.............dave

# 3 23-07-2014 , 09:39 PM
Super Moderator
Yes displacement and you can use render proxies for loose rocks and such. I did have to trouble shoot some issues with passes and talked about it here so I tend to lean towards using the mip_binaryproxy instead and even made a script to automate the process. spPaint3D is a popular script that allows you scatter duplicates of the proxy(just make sure it's set to duplicate input connections).

- Genny
# 4 23-07-2014 , 10:22 PM
Thanks guys - I'm just starting out with displacement maps. Could you give me a simple outline of how to use a displacement map in my situation?

# 5 24-07-2014 , 07:14 AM
The thin red line

# 6 24-07-2014 , 08:43 PM
Thanks!

Jeremy