Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 03-09-2014 , 01:05 PM
EduSciVis-er

Clean mattes from object ID pass

As I understand it, creating a material or object ID pass is pretty common practice, using surface shaders with a single color (typically Red, Green, or Blue, and additional ones might be Cyan, Yellow, and Magenta so the RGB values are very straightforward). (see Fig 1 user added image)

What I can't figure out is how in After Effects to get a perfectly clean, accurate alpha or matte or mask for a single color. Most tutorials I can find (even high profile ones) seem to go the route of applying a "Color Key" and tweaking the color tolerance and feather. This in my experience is just guesswork and won't create a clean accurate matte.

The alpha is anti-aliased (see Fig 2 user added image). Obviously anti-aliasing at the outside edges and between colors complicates the process, but there should still be a simple mathematical way to isolate these regions with an anti-aliased alpha.

The better way seems to remap the channels, for example using "Channel Mixer" and setting all other channels to -100 or 0 except the one you want and then using it as a luma matte? But even then, if I duplicate the process for each color and put the layers on top of each other, I get black lines at the intersection of colors and the outside edges aren't the same.

I did a very simple experiment where I have two copies of the id pass and used one as an "alpha inverted matte" of the other. This should completely eliminate the image, yet I have a fringe showing up. (Fig 3user added image)

TL;DR: Does anyone know the RIGHT way to use an id pass? (If you say "use Nuke" I might actually take you up on that).

Thanks!user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 15-10-2015 , 06:32 PM
EduSciVis-er
Well, I'm here again. Still am not able to use ID passes effectively. Even the MILA matte pass built into the new mental ray render settings.

I've got a very basic comp with 2 copies of an image. Using the EXtractoR plugin, I set one to take all channels from matteA, and the other copy to take all channels from matteB. This should result in a perfect union of the two images. Instead I get a terrible line between them. Checking UnMult helps a little bit, but not completely.

I just don't get it. Shouldn't this be a perfect mathematical operation? Is After Effects just incapable of doing this and another compositing package will work?

Attached Images
# 3 15-10-2015 , 06:41 PM
SM Tea Boy
Look like a multiplication problem to me, send me the exr if you like dave@simplymaya.com I'll try the same thing in nuke.

By default maya will premult the passes so.... I can't help with AE I stopped usines in ages ago i'd probably just end up confusing the issue. I can test your output image in nuke though if you want

Dave

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 4 15-10-2015 , 06:53 PM
EduSciVis-er
Sure thanks Dave, sent. For a nuke workflow, should the the passes and/or render layers by premultiplied?

# 5 15-10-2015 , 07:10 PM
SM Tea Boy
You can do it either way, I leave mine at default (premultiply) and unpremult any grade or color correction nodes i use then re multiply after

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 6 15-10-2015 , 07:11 PM
SM Tea Boy
I'm just grabbing a bite to eat then i'll take a look at your file user added image I received it

# 7 15-10-2015 , 07:52 PM
SM Tea Boy
ok Nuke was no problem, see the video below I'm not sure what your experience level with nuke is so i kept it basic. Hope it helps, sorry if I lecture a bit after 17 years of tutorials I can't help it anymore user added image

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLjFkh1oHfk

# 8 15-10-2015 , 08:20 PM
EduSciVis-er
Awesome, you rock! So that's about what I was expecting, and now I'm looking for:
1) Someone with AE experience to tell me whether AE just is bad for compositing or if there is a fix
and
2) Enough hours in the day to learn nuke.