Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 16-05-2015 , 09:04 PM

Help, Edge Slide and snap to other meshes

Hi All

I am coming to Maya from Max for a new job and I have a question. I am trying to move an edge along an angle and aligning that edge to another mesh in the scene. In max I would use edge constraint the snap the edge to the other mesh. The edge would snap to the required height while sliding along the mesh constrained to the edge. In maya whenever I attempt to snap the edge constraint is disabled and thus the edge doesn't slide it just deforms the mesh to align the edge to the mesh I am snapping to.

In short I am using the constraint in Maya "Transform Constraints - Edge" which works fine but disables when holding the V button for point snapping. I have tried the edge slide tool but the snapping option doesn't apply to other meshes. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Pic attached

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 16-05-2015 , 09:20 PM
Forgot to add that this is Maya 2014

# 3 17-05-2015 , 07:57 PM
Lifetime Member
One way to do this is to select the edge with the slide edge loop tool then hold down the v key and middle mouse drag across one of the top vertices of the cylinder and the edge will slide to the vertex height.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 4 18-05-2015 , 01:31 AM

One way to do this is to select the edge with the slide edge loop tool then hold down the v key and middle mouse drag across one of the top vertices of the cylinder and the edge will slide to the vertex height.

Thanks for your response. Unfortuantley I've tried that method and it does not work. The edge will snap at increments but it will not snap to the other meshes height or whatever you are aiming for. Any other ideas?