Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 26-10-2015 , 11:17 PM
Subscriber

Symmetry Problem with poly-sculpt

Good Afternoon All.

Has anyone had a problem where using poly-sculpt with reflection turned on will cause a symmetrical mesh to go asymmetric?

I've been working on a character and have been using abSymMesh to check the symmetry of my work.
My model starts out well the program tells me "polysurface 1 is symmetrical" And this is with the tolerance set on .001. However as soon as I touch my model with the sculpt geometry tool it's out of tolerance. At first I hoped that AbsSymMesh was just lying to me but when I zoomed in really close on the side view sure enough vertices just were not aligned anymore.

I used reflection and then reflection and reflection about origin checked.

To see if something was wrong with my mesh I:

1. Deleted half of it and mirrored it.

2. Separated the head and worked on just that.

3. Completely deleted the UV map just for good measure.

I tried other things too and got mixed results:

When I use the modeling toolkit with symmetry turned on to pull and push the verts and then checked with abSymMesh my mesh was fine. Everything checked out no matter how many ways I pulled and pushed the things.

Then when I used the wire tool using a blend-shape of a curve that I had made from the mouth to stretch the lips my mesh went out of tolerance again. I double checked and made sure that the curve was symmetric. I did get a warning that said : Cycle on wire1.outputGeometry[0]" may not evaluate as expected.

Is there anything else I can check on my mesh that may be causing it to go out of tolerance?

I am using Maya 2014 on 64-bit machine using Windows 7.

# 2 09-11-2015 , 08:07 PM
Subscriber

What I found out.

Good Afternoon All

Ok, after trying this on other people's meshes I figured out that sculpt mesh reflection just pulls meshes out of symmetry no matter what you do. I did not know this and it may have been obvious but now that I know I thought I would spread awareness. There are better tools and scripts out there if you want to get symmetrical blendshapes.

R/S