Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 02-04-2016 , 12:41 AM
EduSciVis-er

Are Maya's UV tools this bad?

I feel like I must be missing something very simple, which is why I'm posting in the newbie forum.

Is it possible to do a simple UV unwrap of a cube that has been scaled (so that the faces aren't square), and get UVs that are proportional to the faces, i.e. the only outcome that makes any sense?

Every tool I use creates arbitrarily proportioned UV faces which are useless to me. Why, Maya?

In a related question, is Ptex taking off in "the industry"? I don't get the sense that it is, and I can't figure out why.

# 2 02-04-2016 , 12:45 AM
EduSciVis-er
Hmm, so with further experimentation, if I perform Freeze Transformations, then an automatic layout works fine, it looks like. Unfortunately I don't really want to freeze the transforms, but that's probably my issue. Carry on. Ptex question still stands.